chapter 06

Unlearn by benny blanco & Gracie Abrams^

Best Out of Three

Copyright © 2021 Nichole Kym

— — —

CORA EYES ME SUSPICIOUSLY as I walk towards her. Taking the vacant seat next to her, she clears her throat and widens her eyes, jerking her head towards Ryder who is walking to an empty desk. Cora clears her throat again, signaling for me to explain my new status with Ryder.

    "Ahem," she repeats. "Aren't you going to explain?"

    "There's nothing to explain," I counter back as I bring out another empty notebook.

    "Oh please," she sighs giving me that I-know-it's-something look. "You guys came in here all talkative so I'm guessing you guys were talking before too?"

    "You are a great observer," I compliment, but still do not answer her question.

    "Oh c'mon June," Cora practically begs. "You know, if you don't explain now, you'll have to at lunch."

    "What makes you think that?" I chuckle at her teasingly.

    "Because Liv will find out," she says with a smirk.

    "You've gotta point," I sigh then with a smile I add, "Lunch it is."

    Cora groans before turning her attention to the front where our teacher Mrs Goulding is starting to write what we'll be covering on the board.

    Halfway through her lecture, Mrs. Goulding starts to pass out review packets so our brains are refreshed. The guy in front of me leans forward to grab the paper, and as he does, his elbow hits his pencil. The pencil rolls off the table and stops next to my foot.

    I bend over slightly to reach it and then lean forward, tapping him lightly on the shoulder. He turns and his expression is expecting. I take a moment to examine him. He has crystal blue eyes and light brown hair which mixes well with his light tan skin.

    "Uh, you dropped your pencil," I say, gesturing to the pencil in my hand as I extend it towards him.

    "Oh, thanks," he takes the pencil and flashes a smile, revealing his dimples.

    "No problem," I say with a shrug as I turn my attention to the review packet.

    He turns back around, facing the front. I can feel Cora's heavy gaze on me from the corner of my eye, but I choose to ignore her.

    If these were the new opportunities my mother mentioned, I think I'd rather not.

———

    Before I realize it, the bell rings right when  start the last page of the packet. I pack up my things and put the packet in my math folder.

    "Whatever you did not finish in class is homework," Mrs. Goulding yells as students shuffle out of her classroom.

    I wait for Cora as she ties her shoe on the chair before we head to lunch. A hand taps me lightly on the shoulder, and I urn around to find the guy from before smiling at me.

    "Hey," he says as he adjusts his backpack strap on his shoulder.

    "Hi," I respond back.

    "I'm Dean by the way. Dean Parkinson," he greets as he extends his hand outward to me.

    "June Kingsley," I say as I take his hand to shake.

    Our hands drop and a moment of silence occurs before Cora interrupts. 

    "I'm Cora Waters," she says as if no one bothered to care. "And we're late for lunch."

    She takes my hand and rushes out of the room, but Dean gets another sentence in right before we're out the door.

    "It was nice to meet you," he says.

    "Likewise," Cora yells back as she drops my hand and we speed-walk to the cafeteria.

    "You're welcome for saving you," she says before she pushes open the doors to the cafeteria.

— — —
Thoughts? Use the comment section, I'd love to hear from you!

UPDATES EVERY WEEK

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

SHARE

I have a YouTube Channel called N.K. Cookery

I eat, bake, cook, and review with you guys!! It would mean the absolute world if y'all would check it out and help me get to 1K subscribers.

More subscribers/views = early updates ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoGRjbQ427MlqUnrFJLvF9Q

my channel ^^