chapter 10

Best Out of Three

Copyright © 2021 Nichole Kym

- - -

THE GIRLS AND I go to our favorite hangout spot, The Snowy Parlor. It's a diner and ice cream shop all in one. Whenever we meet up, we all order shakes and discuss the newest gossip in our lives. Today, we only talk about school, and Jessica's party.

"Are you guys seriously thinking about going?" Cora asks with disbelief.

"We're not thinking about it, we know," Olivia says, frantically nodding, as she plays with the straw of her strawberry shake. Me, I'm all about vanilla. Cora loves cookies and cream the best.

"Really?" Cora gasps, then turns to me. "You too, June?"

Olivia is sending me a convincing smile as she remembered that I agreed earlier on today. With a sigh, I nod my head while taking another sip of my vanilla shake.

"Oh goodness," Cora groans before her eyes widen. "Does this mean I have to go?"

I'm about to protest, but Olivia beats me to it. She grabs Cora's shoulders and looks her dead in the eye with a serious expression.

"I swear if you do not oblige to go with us, I will drag you by your hair and we will go to that party even if you are half asleep. I swear it," Olivia threatens with the don't you-test-me look on her face.

"Alright, I'll be your chaperon," she sighs.

"Thank you," Olivia squeals while I laugh when finishing my shake.

They finish theirs in the next five minutes, and our all-time waitress Barbara walks over to us with the check as she takes away our empty glasses.

I place a ten dollar bill on the tiny black tray, and Barbara swoops it up before I know it. When she returns with my change, I leave a two dollar tip. That's my routine every time we come here and I pay.

Just as Barbara picks up the tip with a smile, the bell on the door of the diner chimes, signaling people are entering the diner. Out of curiosity, my eyes swing to the door, and I immediately regret it.

Walking in with her two minions in cheerleading outfits, Jessica Ross spots me with my friends and walks over to us, her heels clacking with every step.

"Well, well, who have we here?" Jessica smirks and her minions laugh along. What on earth was so funny?

"Considering you are the one who walked up to us, I'm guessing you should know," Olivia smirks, and as if a repetition, Cora and I laugh as well.

"There's the smart-ass," Jessica says as she looks Olivia up and down, "the fat-ass," she continues whilst looking at Cora. Finally she turns her gaze on me, "And the one who can't keep her drinks to herself."

She's hinting at the cafeteria incident, I just know it. I send a glare her way as she and her little followers smirk.

"And then there's the one who's a whore," I snap back at her.

I don't know where that came from, but the look of horror on Jessica's face makes me smile sweetly.

"Why you—" she's about to shriek at me, but is rather cut off by a male voice.

"Hey, June!" A male yells in our direction from the diner's entrance.

I peek over Cora's shoulder in front of me, and lock eyes with Ryder. He's here with Miles, shocker.