8, The Photographer

The Harbor, City, Morning

Christopher Garner walked along the harbor, looking intently for the perfect shot. On one of the boats he saw a man with a sun weathered face, cutting up some fish and throwing the unwanted bits to the sea. He zoomed in and took a picture of the sailor, resulting in a vibrant picture with the morning sun shining on the mans face and giving a glint to his fillet knife. It made for a good slice of life piece.

Chris moved his camera down to the seabirds below the man, catching the scraps the man threw out. He took some pictures of them catching the pieces out of the air and fighting over the bits that reached the water.

His phone buzzed. Christopher turned off his camera and looked to see who it was. It was Olivia Garner.

"Hey Mom, what's up?"

His mother's concerned voice responded, "Have you talked to your sister recently?"

"No, why?"

"I've been trying to call her for the last hour, and she hasn't responded to anything. I'm worried she may be stuck somewhere."

"You mean, because of the earthquake?"

"Yeah, I heard that a few buildings collapsed in New York, and with the power outage she may have gotten lost."

"Oh, she knows her way around. But I'll call her just in case."

Olivia sounded a little less concerned. "Thank you. If you can't get a hold of her, can you please go to her work and see what they know?"

"Sure. I'm off of work today so I don't have anything to do. I know she's fine though."

Chris said bye-bye and continued taking pictures. He doubted there was anything truly urgent, he would do it later.

Chris stopped when he noticed a ragged old man screaming about the end of the world. A crowd was building around the man, not believing a word he said. Chris took a picture; he didn't believe the man either.

He should have.