Epilogue

EPILOGUE

Red Creek Manor,

Red Creek Farms, Layton, Virginia

Caleb sat at his desk, the same one that he had used all throughout his Navy career. He sipped a glass of iced tea, his hands wrinkled as he flexed his fingers trying to stave off his arthritis, against which he fought a losing battle. He wore a cream colored suit, the jacket of which had been discarded on the couch near the door. A manila colored folder sat in front of him. He stroked his snow white beard absent mindedly as he waited. His beard, long white hair, and smile had earned him the nick name of Santa from his grandkids and Biker Claus to some because of the fact he refused to quit riding in his old age which pissed his doctor off. But what he was doing today was anything but Christmassy.

“Pop?” his oldest grandson called to him, breaking his trance. “Camera’s ready for you.”

“Okay, thank you Charles,” he took his cigar from the ash tray and took a puff know this would piss his doctor off too. “Let your father know I need him to see him later?” he asked referring to Rick King, his daughter Lexi’s husband.

“No problem, you need anything else?”

“No that’s all, thanks.”

As Charles closed the door Caleb placed his glasses on the end of his nose and began speaking to the camera.

“Those of you who don’t know me, my name is Vice-Admiral Caleb Seanutavian Greene, United States Navy, service number 5138-8422555-465, Retired. If someone outside of my immediate family is viewing this I assume I am dead. I wanted this to be my last good act upon this earth. I’m speaking to you today because the world deserves to know the truth. Many years ago the story was told that President Joseph Raymond Campbell, of Atlanta, Georgia had died of a sudden heart attack while on vacation at Camp David.” He paused and took a deep breath. “That is by no means the truth, President Campbell died in deep space and the casket that they buried in Arlington Cemetery did not contain his body. Joe, a man I once called my friend, died a traitor to this nation. He planned to attack the United States Government, believing it to be too far gone to save. But far worse than this he attempted to use the ships under my command to hold the entirety of the U.S. hostage and use my crew as a scapegoat.” Caleb picked up the folder full of papers. “I hold in my hands a stolen copy of the report detailing what truly happened back then. I plan for these documents to be released to all major news outlets exactly six months after my death so that the public may know the truth and the families of those involved may seek the truth about the circumstances of their loved ones deaths.” He tossed the papers back to his desk and took a sip of tea. “For a long time the Navy convinced me that this was a matter of national security but in truth they wanted to save face. The Government does not know I have these documents and wont until after my death. I pray for those who died that day and pray for the forgiveness of their loved ones for keeping this a secret for such a long time. My name is Vice-Admiral Caleb Greene, U.S. Navy. I love my country but I no longer trust our Government. Remember the phrase “I fear the Greeks even when they bear gifts.”

Caleb live the rest of his life in peace, restored Red Creek Manor to its former glory, helped raise his numerous grandkids and great grandkids, a built a company to last the ages. He died five years after recording the video, sitting on his front porch, cigar in hand, while pondering if it was a good day for a ride on his beloved Harley Davidson, or if he should drive his favorite Ford into town. He lived just long enough to dance at his great granddaughter’s wedding and was posthumously promoted to the rank of a four star Admiral. His family received the promotion papers just three days before releasing the video. They think he would have enjoyed irony.  He was ninety eight years old.