Chapter 6 - Revelation

A loud slam was all I heard as the large metal gate closed.

"Isn't that dangerous? It'll attract infected every time you open it." I said.

"We've got people guarding the perimeter. Besides, those walking corpses can't force their way inside this camp with their useless arms." Zachia explained.

What if they climb on top of each other and reach the top of the wall? That would be a different story.

A group of men carrying medical kits approached us, but Zachia stopped them. They all stare at me as we walk, which made me anxious.

"Don't mind them." Miya smiled.

"Welcome back!" says the guy sitting at the hunting tower.

"You need to take a break, Ralph! You've been guarding there for the entire week!" Zachia shouted.

"It couldn't be better! After all, this is the best spot here in Trosta!" Ralph replied as he waved his rifle at us.

"He loves sniping," Miya whispered to me.

I looked at the guy, and to be honest... he looks like the kind of person who will die immediately once he steps outside the gates. No offense.

"Alright then, I'll expect you in the cafeteria at dinner!" Zachia waved.

"Nah, I'll spend my night here, so-wait, who's that?" he asked after locking eyes with me.

"Cyr-"

"We'll introduce you to her if you come!" Miya said as she covered my mouth, interrupting me.

"Nah, not happening. Anyway, the chief told me he wants Zachia's presence in his office once she gets here, so scoot!" he said as he leans back on his chair.

"Great, another scout report. You both get your breakfast and do your stuff... or whatever. I'll be going now." Zachia said before leaving our side.

I looked around and found log cabins lined up on the sides. Children can also be seen running and playing tag around a small grassy area, while adults are outside their houses, laughing and smiling as they talk.

"This is amazing."

"I know, right? The chief did an amazing job finding this place."

"Finding it?"

"It was an abandoned prison." She looked to her right and pointed at a broken sign in the corner.

Cedar Creek Corrections Center

"Why name the camp Trosta?"

"The idea's not mine," she shrugged.

Fair enough, Trosta sounds cool anyway.

"You said this was a prison? I don't see any facilities around."

"All that's left is a single building. None of us have any idea what happened here, so yeah. Anyway, let's go."

Everyone was staring at me as I followed Miya. Others stopped talking and focused their attention on us. I even heard someone say another mouth to feed. I simply ignored it and put my hood on to hide my face.

"Good morning, beautiful," a guy walking towards us said.

I kept my head down and avoided eye contact to hide my face.

"Not today, Gian," Miya said in an annoyed tone.

"Maybe tomorrow?"

She shook her head and crossed her arms. "Who was with you the day they sent you to the town? I need to make sure you guys are doing your job out there."