Chapter 1: Elevator Awkwardness

Year 1: The Beginning

- (Y/N)'s POV -

Once we stop right in front of my dorm at Atlas Academy, I get out of the car and James opens his door from the driver's seat. I grabbed my luggage before I closed the door and looked around. Yes, this placed was cool as hell.

James: "Don't get into any trouble. If I hear anything about you that's not good, we will have a large conversation about discipline until you get it. You hear me?"

Me: "Yes I hear you uncle."

I haul my suitcase behind me as I travel to my dorm room. Apparently I am staying on the top floor where all the privilege kids stay which seemed weird to me. I enter the elevator and a gloved hand stops the doors from closing. He looked like a butler of some sort.

???: "Thank you Klein."

Klein: "No problem."

A girl wearing an atlas uniform walk in. She stands next to me, ignoring my presence. I then got a sudden urge to yawn and so I did. This didn't seem to bother her as she grabbed her stuff from her butler Klein. The two waved goodbye and the elevator doors closes. I notice she didn't press a button for her floor and decided to be a gentleman.

Me: "Which floor miss?"

???: "Same floor as you."

Great. That went well. We continued to go up and it was an awkward silence. It was going to be a minute before we reached the top floor so I went ahead and introduced myself. It can't get any worse can it?

Me: "Name is (Y/N) (L/N). Yours?"

Winter: "Winter Schnee."

Me: "Oh so you're THE Winter Schnee? What are you doing in Atlas Academy?"

Winter: "That's none of your business."

Huh? That was kinda rude. She just completely just blew me off! Fine whatever, I guess I did cross into personal business.

Me: "I guess I'm sorry for being curious..."

Ladies and gentleman, this is why I keep to myself and have zero friends because of it. Zero social skills. We wait for a moment in silence once again as we arrive at our floor. I was about to go on ahead but she completely just walks past me and I just look at her. No manners... I sigh and just exit the elevator. I look around and notice that Winter was already long gone. I check the piece of paper James handed to me earlier and looked at the number plates.

Me: "So if positive is right and negative is left... looks like I am going right!"

I smile at my geniusness and continued down the right side of the hall until I am met with my room number. 713. I take the student scroll out of my pocket and scanned it on the door key. After a few seconds, it registered that it was me while showing my school photo. God. Is that how people look at me?

I open the door and... damn. Who would've thought? Winter fucking Schnee was inside, her back faced to me, looking at the room. Hearing me enter, she turns around and sees me. We look at each other in the eyes in shock, well Winter was less than amused and but I was totally, 100% shocked.

Me: "Well hello there."

Winter: "So you're that special person I was assigned to as a teammate?"

Me: "Uhh looks like it...?"

She sighs and shakes her head down at the ground.

Winter: "Okay let's get this straight, we are going to need ground rules if we are going to be roommates and teammates." I nod in agreement. "The obvious rules like no peeking. We will have assigned showering times, chores will be split, everything needs to stay cleaned, no partying, no-"

Me: "Okay okay! I get it. We can discuss all of that later. I'm tired right now so where is the bedroom?"

Winter: "I think it's over here."

We headed to what we assume is where the bedroom is. I open the door and there was only a single Queen sized bed. My jaw falls to the ground and Winter was already on her phone to call for another bed.

Me: "Why is there only one bed...?"

Winter: "Hey, yes. Can we get a second bed? No? Why- oh they hung up."

While I still am in double the shock, Winter taps my shoulder.

Me: "Yeah?"

Winter: "So it seems we have a problem. They refused to give us a second bed and as you can see, we have a single bed. I believe the fairest way to see who gets the bed is a dual. Are you up for it?"

For some odd reason, I quickly accepted and we rushed down to the training room. I yawn and once we opened the doors to the arena, we were lucky enough that no one else was there. Winter immediately went to the other side without saying a word so I decided to do a quick warm and a check up to make sure I am ready. This single fight is going to decide whether or not I am getting any sleep for the next four years.

Weapons? Check. Stretched out? Check. Looks like I am ready. I look across the training room and see Winter waiting for me.

Winter: "You ready?"

I nod and my iklwa manifested in my hand. Winter eyes my weapon deeply and runs at me to get the first strike. She takes a single step and thrusts her saber aiming for my chest which I knew was coming and I quickly disarmed her before her attack landed.

Her saber lands behind her blade in and she falls to her knees in shame.

Me: "I win."

Winter: "How..?"

I decided to straight up tell her how I defeated her. The point of going to Atlas Academy is to graduate into the adult world that is full of mysteries knowing as much as you can so you can deal with any obstacles. Plus I want to be on good terms with Winter as she will be my roommate for the next four years.

Me: "You were busy studying my weapon and didn't realize I adjusted my stance for you to get disarmed."

She slams her hand on the ground and gets back up.

Winter: "Rematch!"

Me: "Okay."

She runs back to her original spot and I give her a thumbs up. She approaches me and just before she attacked me, my whole body felt heavy. I look underneath me and noticed a gravity glyph underneath me appear. Just before Winter was about to make contact, my iklwa changed into a rounded shield blocking her attack. This irritates Winter and I break out of her glyph.

Winter: "What was that?"

I smirk and spin it around in my hand.

Me: "This is the weapon I designed that took me months. I call it nanotech."

Winter: "Nanotech?"

Me: "Basically I could make my weapon change into a shield and vise versa." I then change the nanotech into a gun. "Did I mention it's also a gun?"

I shoot at Winter and she barely dodges the blast. She then charges at me and I change the nanotech in gauntlets for each hand and grab ahold of her saber before it made contact.

Winter: "How many forms can it change into?!"

Me: "Well that's all sadly. Nanotech can only get so advanced before it can reach its limit... for now... probably for a long time..."

We both struggle to break each other's attack. I then let go her saber which made her continue her momentum forward and then I grab her before she fell bridal style.

Me: "I yield."

I then place her back down and started walking back to our apartment. As I leave she runs up to me yelling at my furiously.

Winter: "Why did you forfeit? You were obviously winning that whole time so why?"

Me: "Because I thought giving you the bed was the right thing to do. I'll just sleep on the couch."

Wait I did? When did I become a gentleman? Before she could say anything, I walked away. But since we are going to the same place she was to my left.