Kabanata 10: Airport

Nakasakay na sila sa barko. Ezikiel is a little bit nervous... Or excited? Never in his wildest dreams na uuwi sya sa kanyang kinalakihan with a stranger, choosing a longer route, and chasing a girl from his past. It's a bit messed up pero wala na syang magagawa. He is already here, there's no turning back now. It's only a couple of hours to reach their next destination. Ezikiel is a bit tired, he was sitting in one of the respective chairs sa loob ng barko. He is not used na sumakay sa barko, he even despised it but no time for that. Almost there, he thought and drifted off to sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He opened his eyes. Nagulat sya. Everything is white. He walked around pero puro lang talaga puti ang nakikita nya. He was not afraid, he's just annoyed. What is going on? He thought.

"Hello?"

Umupo sya, pumikit at nag hintay. Wala namang mangyayari kung mag pa-panic sya at sisigaw ng sisigaw. Nobody's here and no one will help him. He'll just have to figure it out. Then, naramdaman nyang gumalaw ang paligid nya. He heard a familiar sound. Airplane? There were cars and people.

The airport.

He heard again, the voice.

"Ezikiel"

Minulat nya ang kanyang mga mata. It's her. Athelstane. Agad syang tumayo. They were a feet apart. He almost wanted to touch her but he realized something. She was not looking at him. It's as if he was invincible. She was looking at someone na sa kanyang likod. Himarap ito sa tinitignan ni Athel pero naka talikod ito sa kanya. Who is this person? Tumingin ulit sya sa babae. She was crying.

"Please" sabi ni Athel

Now it dawned to him what was going on. The guy na nakatalikod didn't even move. She is still crying. He just can't stand to see a girl cry. Di nya alam ang gagawin pag nakakita sya ng babaeng umiiyak. He just wanted to wipe those tears away, but he can't. He was just an audience to another sad love story. It's as if nag error ang isang palabas at accidentally nalagay si Ezikiel sa moment na yun. He knew who the guy was. He is very familiar with him. As if on cue humarap ang lalaki. Nanlaki ang mata ni Ezikiel. He was not surprised to see the person but the coldness sa mukha nito. No hint of sadness or even guilt. Nakuha nya pang ngumiti. Ezikiel almost wanted to hit the guy.

"Sorry Athel"

"I thought you're going to stay?"

"Akala ko nga din Athel"

Tumakbo si Ezikiel sa lalaki and punched him. Di ito tumama at lumagpas lamang ito. He's furious. Tha audacity of this guy. Pero anong magagawa nya? He was just a witness. A silent viewer. A blur. A nobody.

"Sabi mo nga. Di lahat mapagkakatiwalaan mo" Dugtong ng lalaki

The guy shrugged at lumakad papalayo ready to enter the airport.

Athelstane stared while crying and suddenly, lumuhod ito. Di nya lubos maisip ang nangyayari. He stared at her. He looked at the airport. He stared the guy.

The guy was him.

Nanginginig sya he just can't believe he was like that. But why can't he remember? Confusion.

Athel is still on her knees. Linapitan ito ni Ezikiel at lumuhod sa harapan nya and tried to reach her.

"Please, I'm right here"

By his surprise, Athel stopped crying. Akala nya titingin na sya sa kanya but she's looking above. It was an airplane, not even saying goodbye. Tumingin si Ezikiel sa itaas. Then when he looked at her mistulang may humila na naman sa kanya papalayo. His arms is reaching for her pero di nya magawang lumaban. He let it drag him. Everything is white again. He was floating at tumitingin sa kawalan. He closed his eyes, a tear falling from his left eye while the void gradually consumes him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yvette is staring at Ezikiel while he sleeps. She smiled and her face changed. Hinawakan nya ang mukha ng kaibigan. She noticed a tear falling from his eye.

"You're too naive. You let your emotions control you and easily trusting someone like that? Now Ezikiel, Are you really ready to know the truth?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ezikiel woke up. Bumababa na ang mga tao. Agad syang tumayo at bigla syang nahilo. Hinawakan nya ang kanyang ulo. Motion sickness. What was that anyway? Flashbacks, The airport, And Athelstane. He will eventually gonna know the truth and he can't wait.

Pag kababa nya ng barko Yvette is waiting for him. Seeing her is very comforting. Something is different from her and very familiar too. He didn't bother to ask any questions or let him confuse it. He's happy that she's here in this peculiar journey.

He saw Yvette smiling at him while he's walking towards her.

He smiled back.