3-2-1 Where Did It Go?

"You're my brother?" I asked Alex. I felt an overwhelming sense of feelings, tons of them at the same time. I knew Alex could tell too. He stood there in front of me for a moment, trying to figure out what to do. At this point it felt like the whole world was spinning around me. I think Alex could tell that any words would shatter me, but I was going to fall apart if I was just left there.
Alex ran over to me and just gave me a hug. As soon as I felt his hug, I knew I was home. I started to calm down a bit, so Alex let me go and went to go get something. He walked into one of the bedrooms and came out with a candle. It was my favorite, red raspberry. There was only one problem... Alex came back crying.
What happened?
"Alex?" I said as I hopped off the stool and walked to Alex. He just stood there frozen. "What's wrong..?" I froze with him when I realized that he just went into Tom's room. "When was the last time you went in Tom's room?" I asked under my breath so my voice didn't crack.
He just stood there and looked up at the ceiling. After a second of choking back tears, he just shook his head and whispered "Never" through the tears. I knew that he obviously meant that he hadn't been in his room since before he died.
Alex lit the candle and we sat down to eat our chicken.
"What was it like..?" He asked quietly, "you know, being away..."
"Weird," I replied as I tried to figure out what to say. "it was like I had a different life. They always scolded me for talking about how my life used to be, so eventually I figured it was for the best. I tried so hard to forget Baltimore, and I was pretty successful. I'm sorry I forgot you Alex, I really am. I forgot most everything except that I was from Baltimore..." I got up from my stool and lifted the side of my shorts. Under the shorts was a tattoo saying "Baltimore" inside of a heart. Tears began to well up in my eyes. "I'm sorry Alex. I know I should've told you when I got this, but it was just before Tom died. You know how everything was so weird around here." I said trying my best to hide the tears, "I was a wreck when they took me to the adoption place. I would always sneak out and come back drunk and/or stoned and I wreaked of cigarettes. After awhile they decided that an adoption center wasn't good enough for me. I would find my way around the system and they knew no one would want me." I said, hoping not to upset Alex too much. "They sent me to a foster home. For awhile I was completely miserable. My foster 'dad' always got on me for stupid things. Eventually I warmed up to my foster mom, I finally felt like I had someone to talk to. I explained to her that I couldn't remember anything, but I need to know who I am. She helped me graduate high school a semester early and helped me 'run away' to Baltimore."

Alex just stood there shocked.
"Where did time go?" Alex said, almost breathless. "My little baby sister is all grown up, graduated from high school.. Traveling on her own. Where were you even living?" He asked, as if he should've thought of that before.
"Seattle..." I whispered. "I was taken to Seattle because Maryland didn't want me coming back to Baltimore after everything with the adoption place."
"I need time to process this..." Alex got up and walked away, "I'm sorry but I need to be alone."

"Just promise me you won't hurt yourself?" I asked worried, maybe he'd become like Tom.
"Don't worry... I'll be fine." Alex said, almost questioning himself.