Chapter Three

They'd stopped at a service in Meah several hours later. Dorian was asleep already, having passed out with Crescent City on his face, and was snoring loudly. Chaol was outside, making a phone call with someone. When Celaena had asked ever-so-sweetly who it was, he'd snapped at her to mind her own business - but she saw his cheeks go pink. It was Yrene Towers, she was sure of it.

Bored, she threw a Malteser at Rowan, who was also sound asleep in the front. It didn't even touch him before his hand shot out and caught it between his fingers. Then he crushed the Malteser.

His eyes snapped open.

'What the rutting hell was that for?' he snarled.

Celaena gave a mischievous grin. 'Sorry.'

Dorian stirred in the back. 'Wha?'

Another thought flashed through her mind. She poked Dorian on the cheek lightly. 'Hey. You. Wake up.'

He groaned. 'Why...I'mcomfy...'

Celaena took Crescent City from his face and slapped his forehead. Dorian woke abruptly. 'Why do I always get woken up in the worst ways?' he moaned. 'Can't someone get any decent sleep here?'

She waggled her eyebrows. 'Sleep outside. I don't want to be disturbed for a while.'

A poor Dorian was shoved out of his seat and Celaena slammed the door shut, pushing the locks down. Dorian, despite his manners, threw a vulgar gesture at her. She returned it.

Peering outside, she could still see Chaol talking - with a great big goofy smile on his face. She snapped a picture quickly with her phone before jerking her chin at her boyfriend. 'Give me your jumper.' He did so willingly, and she hung it over the window. Wriggling out of her own, she tucked it over her own. Rowan had already caught on. The interior of the car was dark, but she could feel Rowan - a hard, almost overwhelming presence by her side.

Celaena looked at him through the murky dimness and gave a wicked smile. 'You're going to have to be very quiet.'

'I think I'll be the one telling you to not scream, Fireheart,' Rowan purred.