chapter 16 - quidditch

⚠️ TW FOR THE END ⚠️

it was the day of my first quidditch match and words couldn't even begin to explain how nervous i was.

first of all my broom had broken so i had to use a spare, so that would probably make me fuck up straight away.

i was in despair. what if i failed the team?

i was just sat in my bed weighing up the pros and cons of having my first quidditch practice and first quidditch game on the same day when a beautiful white owl flew into my room and dropped something on my bed, gracefully flying back out again.

i looked down and and saw a box with a note.

the note read,

"holton,
i heard it was your first quidditch match. and you're a seeker. congratulations. which means we'll be against eachother. slytherin will win, of course. (i laughed at this part. i can just imagine the smirk on his face as he wrote it.) here's something to help. oh, and don't be too nervous. and don't be scared of losing, slytherin always win anyway.

-D.M."

i knew it was malfoy from the second i opened it. but what was in the box?

i was suspicious. he hardly ever does nice things.

i opened the box and saw the most gorgeous broomstick i have ever seen in my life! it was made of sleek, jet black wood with "firebolt 2" engraved on the side in gold.

i gasped. it was beautiful! but why would he do something like that.. for me?

i smiled to myself.

i didn't even know how to thank him.

i pulled out my parchment and a quill.

"malfoy,

thank you so much! to be honest i don't even know how to thank you. gryffindor will obviously win, by the way. good luck! you're going to need it. ;)

-L.H."

that would do. i sent my old grey owl poppy out with the letter.

malfoy was late to potions, again.

why was he late to everything lately?

he sat down beside me and slipped me a piece of paper. i eyed him suspiciously. he smirked but didn't look at me.

i opened it and he'd drawn an animation of slytherin winning the quidditch match, with the gryffindor team crying below them. i nudged him playfully.

"we're going to win you know." i whispered. he raised an eyebrow and was about to say something when snape stopped us.

"quiet, miss holton." he said in that annoyed, slurred tone.

practice went amazingly. when i dismounted my broom harry ran up to me.

"you were amazing!" he said, grinning. i hugged him.

"where did you get that broom?" he suddenly said.

"oh uh.. i bought it." he looked at me, confused.
"YOU bought that?" he said suspiciously. i laughed. "i do have money you know harry." that wasn't true. in all honesty i didn't have any money.

it was finally time for the game. i shook a little as i mounted my broom. i couldn't help but feel a little scared.

as i shot up in the air to join the rest of the team, i saw malfoy smirking at me. i smirked back.

we were going to win.

i was sure of it.

soon the whistle was blown and golden snitch went zooming around the arena. i dodged a bludger as it came flying towards my head.