Part 5: The Last Lullaby

"Did someone call a Doctor?"

Your eyes strained as they flickered open slowly. He was there shining like some sort of knight in armor, his being in the manner he held himself in. The Doctor's dark brown eyes rose in defiance, and there was a glint of a higher authority in his tall figure. The man was burning with life and fury. He was the brightest figure, and yet cast the darkest shadows in the room. He had saved a million galaxies, ended the most diabolical alien invasions, stopped worlds from collapsing in his wake, but there was a hint of sorrow remaining in his old eyes. There were lives lost, and sacrifices made that no man could emotionally endure after living so long, and yet the Doctor continued on. This man truly was the miracle that you needed.

The Doctor's eyes instantly met yours, and he winked at you before sharing a knowing smile. You smiled slowly even though it was painful for you. He continued to watch you out of the corner of his eye as he sauntered out in front of the Cybermen.

He's like ice and fire, and rage. Someone else said that, not me. What's happening to me? Who am I? What am I becoming?

"Alert, the Doctor! Delete, delete!" The Cybermen all began to chant as they formed a line in front of the Doctor. Their arms extended outwards in a threatening position exposing their deadly weapons.

"Stop it! You've lost, it's useless. How many times must I lecture you about this? Humanity is meant to be filled with tears, losses, joys, and every possible emotion available. Humans have lived for eons, for centuries, and you think they would let a metal machine stop them from living their lives? No, they say no! They fight, they survive, and they raise their fists in fury for the day they turn into Cybermen is the day they are not truly human." He raised his voice as he moved closer to the leader Cyberman. He was a mere inch away from the machine, yet he did not shy away.

"You plan to stop us how Doctor? You will be assimilated like the female human companion, and will become a Cyberman."

"Her name is Ava, and you've made a very wrong decision on your part. There's one problem that I believe will ruin all of your plans." He clucked his tongue before grinning like a madman.

"And what is that, Doctor?" The Cyberman sputtered out precariously. If one didn't know what a Cyberman was, they might have mistaken its words for pure human anger.

"Well, it's just a tick, a tiny tick, but a tick. You see, Ava Green has the most genius mind in the entire room, possibly on this planet. Of course being aside from myself, but that's not the point. The point is that she's filled with all of those stimulating overwhelming human emotions that Cybermen despise. Anger, anxiety, compassion, hope, loneliness, love, pride, you name it! They're all pouring out of her, and it's brilliant! And you know what? She's connected to the psychic link of every Cyberman in this hemisphere! You just watch her Cybermen because you'll never have her brain, it was never yours to keep. Do it! Blow them away, Ava! Be human." He dodged the blows of a Cyberman's laser as he rushed over to your side and hid behind the stainless steel table.

The room had become a madhouse. There was stray blue lasers being spread around the entire room. The Doctor had managed to flip the table over to act as a shield for himself, and you, but it wouldn't last very long. It was time for you to be the hero, and save the day because the Doctor was counting on you this time. He needed you as much as you needed him, and it had finally dawned on you.

"Maybe, I should've waited for the victory speech until after we had departed this planet." He began to unplug the metal mending machine and plucked out stray wires here and there as he disarmed the machine, and changed its use for something else.