P R O L O G U E

It is known that House Tyrell was a true friend of the Targaryens

It is known that House Tyrell was a true friend of the Targaryens. Without Aegon the Conqueror, the Tyrells would not have risen to power from stewards to the Kings of the Reach. Thus, they owed everything to House Targaryen, and stayed true to King Aerys II even during his madness and after Robert Baratheon's rebellion. 

Sixteen years ago, before the birth of Princess Daenerys Targaryen, Queen Rhaella was pregnant with another baby girl.

"Keep pushing, your Grace," the Grand Maester encouraged. The Queen gripped the hands of her handmaidens tightly, forcing herself to push as a wave of pain hit her in her lower abdomen. She let out a bloody cry which was so loud that Jamie Lannister could not help but winced at the poor Queen's scream.

Jamie Lannister, sixteen and brilliant, and was one of the finest Kingsguards in the realm, stood in front of the Queen's bedchamber and listened to the whole labour process. He wondered whether his sister, Cersei would go through the same gruesome procedure when she carried a famous lord's or prince's children.

"No," he thought to himself. Cersei belonged to him only. The only children that she would bear would be his. To amuse himself furthermore, Jamie then pictured the many things that he would do to her sister when he reunited with her at Casterly Rock as the Queen let out another cry.

"Just one more push and your babe will be out." The Targaryen blonde hair scattered messily around Rhaella's pale face. Gritting her teeth, she pushed and pushed with all of her remaining energy, until a faint baby cry was heard.

"A girl!" Rhaella watched tiredly as the Septa cleaned and dry her newborn. "A beautiful, healthy princess– "

The Septa was cut off by a loud slam of the door. King Aerys II marched in with Jamie along with a few Kingsguards followed behind him.

"A girl?" The Mad King looked at his daughter in disgust. "My dear, sweet wife. You have one job to do– which is to give me male heirs, not a useless princess!" he fumed.

Ignoring the pleading cries from poor Rhaella, the Mad King snatched the baby away from the Septa's arms and tossed her to Jamie, surprising the young knight. "Get rid of it," he ordered as if his daughter was just some dumps that were ready to be discarded.

Jamie watched as the Mad King and the rest of the Kingsguards left and disappeared in the vast length of the hall.

"He must be mad! What type of father would hate his flesh and blood?" he thought. Even his father, Tywin Lannister would not kill his younger brother, Tyrion, just because he hated the dwarf since his birth.

Looking down at the little bundle in his arms, the princess was sound asleep already. She looked so peaceful, so innocent. A sudden urge surged through Jamie's body as he felt the need to protect her, to shield her from this terrible world. After all, he had sworn an oath to protect and defend the King's family, right?

Cersei had always called him the stupidest Lannister, and he was about to do something stupid again. He headed back to the bedchamber and gave the princess to the Septa.

"Take the princess and go somewhere safe," he ordered.

Little did he know, the Septa rode off, and headed towards the South to seek help.