|1| Message received

The great waves are sieging. I see Brix standing on the rock, not far from where I stand. He glances at me and sadness is what draws in his face.

My hands and feet are numb, I want to shout at him and tell him that the waves are getting higher but I'm like a statue, I cannot move.

Tears are running down my face, oh know why is it that he doesn't leave there.

I want to run to him and catch his hands so he can escape from the horrible thing that may happen. But I can't.

He is just staring at me and a higher waves devoured him.

"Brix!!! Brix!!!" My chest is aching and I can't breath well.

Someone slaps me and I open my eyes.

"Dara, are you okay?" Mona burst upon me. I can read through her face how distressful she is.

I suddenly burst into tears and I sob so hard.

"The sea devoured Brix, he's gone! He's gone! He's gone!" She slaps both of my face and I feel how sorer they are.

"It was only a dream, look where we are!" My senses return, I remember that we are here in the mountain. We are inside our tent, we're just two inside. The flashlight is what gives us light. The areas where our classmates prop up their tents are far from us including Ryan.

It is good to hear that it was only a dream, a horrible nightmare rather.

Mona wipes my tears and drops of sweats all over my face.

"Thank you Mona, I thought it was true."

"Don't worry Dara it was only a dream." She reminds me again.

Tomorrow we will depart of this mountain.

FLASHBACK

Ryan insists me to join the fieldtrip. He says he will sulk at me if I won't say 'yes.'

"Are you blimp? Remember this is the last time that we will be having fun. We still have five months before we leave our school, and you must grab those remaining days while we're still with our classmates." Ryan jogs me while he tells it, he's about to take my hair but I catch his hand and fling it on his face.

"Ouch!" He yells.

"Please, if you won't join I will never make your assignments again and I will sulk at you until my last breath."

"Psshh!" Stop it, my mom will hear you that I don't make assignments." He's so dramatic, did I hear him say that he will sulk at me until his last breath. Wow.

"Whatever you do, that fieldtrip isn't fun." I raise my left eyebrow and I cross my arms over my chest.

"Auntie Dolor! She doesn't want to join!" He shouts.

We're inside my room and sitting on my bed. My mom prepares my favorite cookies. He reckons that my mom will hear him, but he's just wasting his saliva. My mom can't hear anything from here, our kitchen is too far.

The screen of my phone lights up so I hastily grab it and I feel blessed for the first message from Brix for this week.

He sent me a picture, he's in the forest with his classmates also.

"We were there yesterday. We searched for tarantulas for our project in biology."

A smile draws on my lip. I feel envious, I want to have some fun also like what he did.

I feel like I'm gonna agree with Ryan to join the fieldtrip.

"Hey, what is the meaning of your grin?" He is confused.

"Nothing." I still grin, I cannot hold out my phone. I still stare at the message and the picture of Brix. I wish someday you'll be back home, Brix.

He stands up and he snatches my phone. What the h*ck!

"Give it to me, Ryan!" I shout.

"Oh, so this is what makes you smile huh! Haha!"

"Don't you dare laugh at me like that. You're getting me mad." I slap his arm but he runs through the door.

"Hey, get back here!" He pisses me off. Argg!

He storms out of my room, I chase after him and I catch his hand but he easily escapes.

"Give it to me!" I yell at him.

"No, I won't give this to you unless you decide to join." His intimidation.

"Okay, okay fine! I will join, now that I received a message from him"I tap my forehead while my left hand is resting over my waist.

"Auntie prepare her bag pack!" He calls my mom.

"Finally!" He heaves a deep sigh.

We're here in the living room and I decided to lay down on the sofa. This is amazing. My smile cannot dissipate.

Brix sends messages twice or thrice a week and this is always the effect, the feeling that I'm like floating in the air and something flies inside my abdomen.

Actually, Carol disgusts me. She tried to catch the attention of Brix when he was still here. Everytime she tried to approach Brix, I always made moves so that she wouldn't do it.

During class, we always sit side by side as if nothing could make us apart.

Last school year during our christmas party, Brix gave me bracelet. I knew that Carol was really angry when she got out of the classroom. I intentionally hugged Brix so that she would cut her feelings off for him.

But still now, she cannot move on. She's still mad at me and she always throw her blazing eyes at me. Who cares, her eyes can't kill me.

My feet are resting on the center table when my mom puts the cookies onto it. I'm so hungry, the time is 6pm and we arrived at 5 from the hospital. My ulcer striked me, I tried not to eat throughout the day to test myself if I could afford it but I was frustrated. I stayed at the hospital for two hours lying unconscious.

Ryan takes off his eye glasses and he wipes them using the hem of his shirt and started devouring the cookies.

He is my only cousin. His dad is my mom's brother. I'm a thin girl with a curly brown hair that I inherited from my dad who passed away ten years ago. My hip is only 28. I always wear oversized striped sweater and a pair of my wornout sneakers that I always wear since Grade 7. They still fit. My feet don't change their size, haha.

Starting tomorrow we will be living in a far away mountain.