Chapter One

Firelight knew she had a purpose. She just couldn't figure out what it was. She knew she had been created by some magical force, because there was no way that she was genetic. She had equal amounts of each tribe in her, and genetically speaking, that wasn't possible. She had hatched under a bed in a very dusty and old room, and had to figure out how to find food and speak all by herself. She had found a lot of scrolls in an old library, and found a singular scroll in another cave. This scroll would read aloud to you when you said "bore me to death" and so, Firelight learned how to read, how to hunt, how to write and other things, such as history, about the tribes, and about animuses. Firelight thought that the word animus sounded familiar. Just for fun, she tried enchanting an object. She had found an hourglass with a scope on it in a fountain the day before. Jokingly, Firelight said "I enchant you to tell me your purpose." in a silly accent. She was still giggling when the contraption spoke. "My purpose is to read your soul. The black sand is the amount of goodness you have, and the white sand is the amount of bad." Firelight stared at it. "Uh. What?" she said. "Did I make it do that?" She tried animating another object. Taking the necklace she found, she held it and whispered that whoever wore it could turn invisible. Firelight let it drop over her head, and lifted her arm. It was gone. Not gone. Just invisible, she thought. She took it off, and her arm appeared again. "Cool." Then Firelight remembered the warning in the scroll. That each spell takes away a bit of your soul. She decided not to use her magic unless it was an emergency. 

For the next three years, Firelight lived in the strange mansion. She read about her world and entertained herself with the objects hidden around the place. Without anyone to teach her, Firelight never learned to fly, so she was forced to stay in the dusty old kingdom until one very fateful night. 

Firelight had been painting with the brushes and paint she had found in a classroom. She had also found a painting of a very beautiful NightWing, and Firelight was adding some finishing touches to it. Once she was done with that, she set the easel and canvas in the corner of her room. She ate her dinner, and started to get into bed. She had her head nestled in the soft pillows when she heard them. Fly, fly fly. Why is she so slow? Come on! Hurry up or they'll find us! We have to get in! The enchanted border will keep them out, so we have to get in! Oh I'm going to murder her if we get caught! The first voice said. Come on stupid wings! Fly faster! Don't fail me now! Come on hurry! He's so far ahead of you! Hurry up! The second voice said. Firelight heard the voices, but, they were in her head. Just go to sleep. She told herself. Then, she heard the unmistakable thump of two dragons landing in her home. Her head shot up. "Hello?" She said. "Wah!" The NightWing in front of her yelled. She cocked her head at him, and then the SkyWing ran into her.