Chapter One

January 7th, 2014
Emma sat in the orphanage library, reading poems and stories as usual. A sudden burst of commotion summoned Emma to the front hall. Maria, the head lady at Frontbrooke's home for girls, dashed in with a girl no older than 7, leaning on her arm.
"Oh Em, how glad I am to see you. Please take Ruby here to the office. Its an emergency! I need to go get help." Seventeen year old Emma held onto the crying child and soothed her as they walked to the office. They sat down together and Emma got Ruby a glass of water.
"So, why are you here?" Emma asked Ruby.
" My father just killed my mother. At the market. Right in front of me and Maria. Maria noticed me and took me here while she called the police to come get my ... the man who helped bring me to this world. You see, he always was abusive.Raped me at the beginning of age six." Emma was shocked.
"Most kids take forever to tell me their stories." Emma told Ruby.
"Why are you here, Emma?"
"Nothing tragic. My mom got sick when I was 3. We all thought it was just a flu. But it lasted another year. She died in her sleep, but I knew she was going to a better place. My dad soon caught the bug and was put into quarantine. Can you imagine 13 years of quarantine? He hasn't gotten better or worse. So they cant let him go." The two sat together for a while, and then Maria called them for dinner.
April 28th
Emma and Ruby became as close as sisters. They begged Maria to let them switch rooms until she gave in. Adoption Day happened every Saturday, which would be tomorrow. Everyone was excited.