Chapter 1: Faith or Fate

Note: The current events take place 22 years from the prologue.

The garden of the royal place was filled with the smell of the freshly bloomed flowers, as the queen mother slowly examined each single one of the flowers delicately. Her personal guards followed behind her keeping check that there was no danger that she could come in contact with. The birds chirped and the sun gleamed in joy, everything was happy and hopeful. After all it was a day that everyone in the kingdom had been waiting for. She carefully picked up the Larch flowers that she had grown with utmost care, and put into a small basket that one of her guards was holding.

"The king awaits your arrival, your highness", the King's squire announced as he bowed in front of  the Queen.

"Already?", she said as she looked at the sky to get an idea what time of the day was it.

"Let me escort you to the Royal dining hall where His Highness awaits you", saying that he led the way and the guards surrounding their Queen followed him.

At the Royal Dining Hall

The King sat on his seat at the farthest and highest position of the table and along his sides were the seats which had been laid down for his ministers to sit on. On his two sides were the seats which were also a bit higher than those of the ministers' but lower than his. One for his wife and one for his beloved son. As he was lost in his thoughts, he heard the door to hall open, his eyes shifted towards it and immediately a smile was formed on his face. He motioned the guards to be at ease, as he saw his Queen walk towards him with a basket which he supposed had flowers in them, and sat beside him.

"Your Highness, what was so urgent that you had to see me all of a sudden, even when I had mentioned that no one will see me before the evening?"

The King let out a small laugh as he lifted his glass to drink, "My Queen, I'm getting older and can't an old man have a good meal with his wife and his son", he placed his hand on top his wife's as he spoke, his eyes filled with affection.

"Nonsense....you aren't old my King", she placed the basket down. "It's just that today is a really important day and I don't want to mess it up, which reminds me", she turned to one of the squires present over there. "Where is the Crown Prince? Shouldn't he be here as well?"

Before the squire could answer, the doors to the hall opened and in came a bunch of guards in a perfect order, followed by the squires and then finally the person who was in discussion. His long white hair, a trait that he had picked up from his mother, fell down up to his waist, his skin as fresh as pure milk gleamed as the sunlight hit him slightly on his face, and his hanbok glided behind him as he walked towards his seat.

"You called for me?", he said as he took his seat and bowed to the King, his Father.

"I did, my son", he gently patted his back with a huge smile on his face, and pride in his eyes. "The day is finally here and I wished we would have a meal together, only the three of us and no one else." 

"That indeed is a great idea My King", she spoke as she looked at the father and son.

"Hmm...the 'day'....", he took a pause as he looked at the King and the Queen, "This is the last thing I'm doing for you just because this 'day' is indeed very special for me"

"I'm so proud of you my son.....Bring in the meals and leave us alone now will you?"

His squires and guards bowed and left after the Royal cook came in and served the meals and went away, leaving only the three of them in there.