~Ch 27 - The unforeseen return~

"Wow... It sure is dark in here..." I muttered after entering the cemetery as I scanned the area for any traces of the reapers.

It was quite hard to see anything though since the moon's rays were our only source of light. 

"How are we even supposed to find anything in this darkness?! Why won't the reapers just show themselves already so we can start the fight?!" Nagi yelled in annoyance.

"We've had enough of your little charades. We already know you are all in here somewhere, just give it up and come out from wherever you are!"  

Upon Tokiya's demand, a voice suddenly sounded out from the darkness, "Well, just look at you. Are you really THAT desperate to meet your end?"

"W-What...? So they actually are here..." 

We knew this was their hiding place but I was still taken aback when I heard the reaper. But I knew there was no time to be shocked, so I tried regaining my composure and took a battle stance. Everyone else had their weapons in hand and soon after, another voice was heard but this time, he sounded a lot louder and hoarse than the previous man, "Hah, crushing you feeble humans will be a lot easier than I thought it'd be, not that I was expecting any more from you, to begin with..."

That's when the reapers ultimately showed themselves. The one with wine red spiked bangs leaped down from a tree overhead, landing with ease, while the other one with beige blond hair stepped out from behind a few bushes as he casually cracked his knuckles. They then glared at us, sinister smiles plastered on both of their faces.

"Hmm, not bad..." The first reaper spoke with a hand to his chin, as he studied us from head to toe and then continued, "It actually seems like you all might almost have what it takes to defeat us, especially you." He turned his head and faced me with cold, golden eyes.

Just meeting his gaze was enough to send a chill down my spine.

"W-What do you mean me?" 

Even though my voice quivered a bit, I still tried sounding calm, masking the fear that was slowly building up inside of me.

"You don't actually think I'll tell you, do you? Heh, humans are so naive... Anyway, I guess it's time for us to get started, don't you?" He looked somewhere behind him, clearly asking someone we couldn't really see.

Suddenly, loud footsteps were heard and a third reaper appeared in the light, his tall demeanor and sober expression made him look a lot more forbidding than the other two.

"I loathe the fact that mere humans managed to reach this far but it simply means that you can only dream of surviving now. I recommend you cherish these few moments you have left together, I can guarantee they won't last long..." He spoke under his breath, his deep azure eyes were barely showing from under his hood. 

"*Gulp* These reapers are no joke..." I heard Nagi mutter from behind.

The three reapers kept their distance, none of them moving a muscle as they continued staring in our direction, as if anticipating us to make the first move. It felt like almost forever that we all stood in silence until suddenly, Tokiya jerked ahead with his scythe aiming at the shortest reaper.

"Hyaaahhh!"

"Finally, I was starting to get tired of waiting." He spoke as he nimbly evaded Tokiya's attempt in injuring him.

 "Wha-" 

Just when the reaper found an opening, tiny flashes of bright yellow electricity crackled and began sparking from his palms but they soon turned into large streaks which he directed straight at Tokiya. His attack was, however, interrupted by the muscular reaper who stood beside him.