Jake

Fox Chapel, Pennsylvania

The stadium lights blind me. The crowd is cheering my name and I don't need to see that the Howlers have won again. I hate to admit that we almost came close to losing, which is something we could not afford. Something I cannot allow. Not when the scouts are currently watching my every move as the quarterback. 

After all the handshaking and pats on the back, I make my towards the locker room, but I don't make it that far before Jackie jumps out at me. She does a little squeal with a little bounce, shaking her pom poms in my face. 

"You did so good Jakey!" I try to not cringe at her overused nickname for me.  I almost prefer being called Jacob by others who assume that Jake is a shortened version of my name. It's not. Aside from her overly cutesy language at times, I really don't mind her company. She is my girlfriend for a reason.

I barely have to look down to meet her eyes. I am a little over six foot in height and most girls are at least five inches shorter than I am, but Jackie meets me at eye level. I want to say that she is 5 foot 10 or something like that. Who knows? All I do know is that she looks good on my arm. We make sense. Jackie is head cheerleader. She is what most would consider a blonde bombshell. She has a great body. I particularly appreciate her long legs and size D cup breasts. Her blue eyes are pretty I guess, but they look a lot like mines so it gets boring. I don't mean to sound like an asshole. Most would consider me lucky for snatching her up. I'm not blind, so I can see that she is a catch. She is smart enough and can be fun at times, too. She even comes from a good family name. My stepfather, Bradford Bailey, approves of her so that's all that really matters to me. 

The problem really isn't about her

The problem really isn't about her. She is what most men want, but I'm not most men. The one I want is the one I can never have. My Lily. She is nothing like Jackie. She has long black hair, with silver highlights, and beautiful gray eyes to match. She has a small, yet curvaceous figure, that makes my mouth water. She is quiet around most, but blossoms beautifully around people she cares about. It just so happens that I am one of them, just not in the way that I crave. She sees me as her brother. Well, technically I am her brother. Her stepbrother to be exact. 

I tell myself that it's best this way since I could never jeopardize my mom's happiness, or my own at that, by going after Bradford's daughter. He's always been a good father to me. He loves my mom. I know he loves me too, but I can't help but feel like I need to constantly earn that love. Not to mention I feel guilty that I accepted him so quickly as a father figure. I wonder at times whether my father would see it as a betrayal if he were still alive. 

I was merely twelve years old when my dad died from colon cancer. It was pretty aggressive. He died within the same year that he was diagnosed with it. It hit my mom pretty hard, I'm not talking about the grief because that was hard on me as well, but it was the finances that took a toll on her.  We weren't poor or anything, but that year affected us financially. My dad was the sole breadwinner, so naturally we depended on him. Then he died.