Chapter 8

After a shitty day of school, I headed to work, changing in the car. My head is pounding. I went inside and clocked in. It was pretty dead. Perfect. I had exactly 7 minutes. I grabbed one of the larger cups and started making a latte with extra foam on top. It looked perfect. I grabbed the cinnamon, and worked hard to get the lettering to look nice. It worked out flawlessly. I set it on a little plate with a napkin underneath it and a spoon. I placed it lightly next to the register and waited from in the kitchen, and looked out through the window into the house. She's here! I ducked down and waited. It was so quiet in the dining room, I could hear her steps gaining pace. The steps stopped. I popped up and saw her looking down at it, so I posed in the windowsill and smiled. The cinnamon spelled out "dinner?". She turned around and laughed. "You're cute." She said. "So? What's your answer?" "I don't know, I'm not sure that's the best idea." "Why not?" I felt my smile fading. "It's just a complicated mess. I don't wanna drag you through the mud for a few good moments." "Well, it's a good thing I like getting a bit dirty" she smiled. "You're sweet, but I'm not sure." "Well, there's no deadline, my offer stands for as long as you'd like." I smiled. Well. That sucks. I continued on with work, day dreaming about Jane half the time. I wanted to prove to her that I'm worth the time, that I won't get bored or anything like that. Ugh. Her hair looks so soft. I looked up and saw a few people walking by. It was Branson and the other dicks. They had a sign that read "FAG" and they were pointing and laughing. I tried to ignore them and wait for them to go away. They sat outside and pointed to the sign and me, screaming "FAGGOT". I didn't want to cry. I didn't want to give them the satisfaction of seeing me hurt by them. I saw Jane tromping from her table to the phone. She dialed 3 numbers and waited. "Hi, I'd like to report a disturbance." I couldn't believe she called the authorities. She gave them the address and said that a whole group was causing a disturbance on private property. All of them were arrested onsite. I just sat and watched in awe. J just went back to waiting on people, all my tables were gone. I waited in the kitchen for a few minutes. When she came back to grab something, I wrapped my arms around her, and whispered "thank you". "There's really no reason to thank me." I pulled away a little, my hands still on her shoulders. "Trust me, you just made my entire life." She laughed. We both went back to work and started closing up. We both locked up after cleaning, and I started walking to my car. "Hey!" I whipped my head around. "So when are we going to dinner?" She smiled, and I smiled back.