Chapter 42: Lorie Bartholy, Vampire

Alright everyone, here it is:  the final chapter in Lorie's saga.  I won't lie to you, it's pretty long... but I needed to say everything that I ended up writing.  So... hold on tight, because it's going to be a wild ride!  Thanks for reading.  Cheers!

It was around five in the afternoon on April 14, 1912, the fourth day of Titanic's maiden voyage.  Thus far, the weather had cooperated and it remained clear and pleasant, keeping the ocean waters fairly calm.  Josette was enjoying the last rays of sunshine before dark on the private promenade of their suite, while Viktor was indoors, reviewing some paperwork regarding the construction of the university in Mystery Spell. 

Lorie had already managed to make a new friend on their second day at sea.  The six year-old English girl was named Mary Gordon and she was traveling with her parents and older brother from London to New York.  Their accommodations were in second class on E Deck, but Mary spent a lot of time exploring the ship's various outdoor promenades.  It was there that she met Lorie, who was an equally restless spirit.  The two girls had hit it off right away and by the end of that day were 'best friends' according to Lorie.

"I can sneak you into the Cafe Parisien tonight," Lorie whispered conspiratorially into Mary's ear.  They had arranged to meet up by the Grand Staircase second class landing that afternoon.  "It's for first class passengers only, but I'm sure Maman wouldn't mind if I brought you along."

"That sounds splendid," Mary clapped her hands joyfully.  "I heard the restaurant and cafes in first class are marvelous."

"They are, indeed," Lorie confirmed.  "For my birthday... which happens to be tomorrow, I asked Papa to arrange a special dinner... and you are, of course, invited," Lorie announced grandly.  "I simply cannot wait!  It's going to be amazing!"

"I'm sure you're right," Mary readily agreed. "For now, let's go play hopscotch while there's still some daylight left," she suggested.  "We can also people watch, if you'd like... maybe go and investigate the pool area," she giggled mischievously, covering her mouth with one hand.

"Yes!  Let's do it," eyes sparkling, Lorie immediately grabbed Mary and the two girl skipped happily together toward the A deck promenade, with Ana quietly on their heels.

Back on the large private balcony, Josette stood up and stretched.  She had developed a headache in the morning that had gotten progressively worse throughout the day, and she was also starting to feel congested.

"I think I'll go for a little walk out on the main promenade... up on A Deck," she told Viktor.  "I need to stretch my legs some before dinner.  And perhaps a little exercise will help me get rid of this awful headache.  I hope I don't get too sick and can't enjoy the rest of the trip," she sighed and sniffled.

Josette then walked back inside and leaned behind Viktor, encircling his shoulders with her arms and placing a light kiss on the side of his neck.  "Are we dining in the main dining room or at the restaurant?"

"I believe we have reservations in the main dining saloon tonight, down on D deck, since tomorrow we are celebrating Lorie at the A la Carte Restaurant," Viktor replied.  He made sure he accompanied Josette and Lorie to most of their meals, even though he pretty much just pushed his food around his plate. "And I want her birthday to feel extra special.  Two nights in a row at the same place would get boring... especially for her," he chuckled.

"It's probably for the best," Josette replied as she straightened up and put on a light spring coat.  "I'm not in the mood for a long, drawn-out dinner.  I'd like to go to sleep fairly early tonight... since I'm probably coming down with a cold.  My nose is all stuffed up, and this nagging headache keeps getting worse," she applied pressure with her fingertips over the bridge of her nose, trying to ease off her sinus congestion.