D|16×

I take a deep breath before walking out of the bathroom with my towel around my body. Kareem furrows his brows. "You're gonna sleep with a towel?"

"No, when I enter the duvet I'll take it off." I sit on the bed, unfolding my duvet.

We used a pillow to separate each other and we have different duvets. "Okay. Whatever makes you comfortable."

He closes his eyes. "You're going to sleep shirtless?" I ask laying down, pulling the duvet to cover my body.

"Yeah, what's wrong with it?" I shake my head. "Nothing, just asking." I turn my back at him, closing my eyes.

"Don't cross the pillow, Yasmin. It seems like me being shirtless changed the look in your eyes." He teases me as I scoff. "Don't worry, I sleep perfectly."

*********

I flutter my eyes open, the rays of sun through the blinds, shining across my face. I use my hand to cover my face. I adjust my head when I notice a hand on my arm. I raise my head to see Kareem.

I jump away from his body while he scrolled through his phone. "You're finally awake." He takes a deep breath as his eyes shifts from my eyes to my abdomen. I immediately recall what I wore.

"Stop." I pull the duvet to cover my body. He continued scrolling his phone. "Is your mom awake?"

"I'm not sure but I don't think she is, she would've come out of the room."

"Where's my towel?" I ask looking around. "Its beside me, you threw it when you climbed on me." He keeps his phone to look at me.

"I didn't climb, I just leaned."

"Leaned with a lingerie. I thought you said you'd sleep perfectly."

"Nothing was going to happen anyway." I shrug. "What makes you so sure?"

He sits up, his eyes narrowed. "You can't do it, you're with Bilkisu." I remind him. "You really think so?" He asks. I nod slowly. "Yes."

I say when Kareem pulls me and the next thing I know was Kareem on top of me. "Dare me." He looks at me in the eyes and I know by the look in his eyes that he was just waiting to prove me wrong. I look away as I try to make the painting hung on the wall interesting. "I'm not going to dare you". I say as he chuckles.

I look at him, enjoying his victory. "You're really enjoying this. Can you get off then?" I ask, keeping eye contact while my heart raced. "I'm not sure."

"You won and I feel uncomfortable, I'm not covered or anything. Plus you're in between my thighs so...."

I trail off but he doesn't bother to shift his eyes away from me. "Kareem." The door swings open as mama appeared. We freeze, looking at her before she hurriedly shut the door. I gasp, Kareem getting off me and I pull the covers to cover myself with my eyes covered with my hand in embarrassment.

"Apologies for the..uh..intrusion. I've made breakfast, you should come eat." She says standing by the door then walked away.

I look at Kareem who used hung his head. "This can't happen again." I say taking a deep breath.

"Agreed."

**********

I sit down in the kitchen while Kareem left for the office. I wore his joggers that oversized me but need it now to help with the embarrassment.

"Good morning." I greet, unable to look at her. "Why are you looking away?" She laughs, crossing her arms. "I'm not." I try to look at her but I couldn't. "I am the one that barged into a married couple's room."

"Its nothing." I shake my head smiling when my phone rings. I haven't received a call for more than a day. If I am to exclude mama, my mom, Sarah and zainab, I haven't received a call since I got married.

"I'm coming." I leave to my room. Baba is the one calling me which is worse. "Hello? Baba, good morning." I greet him. "Mhm, Yasmin, are you happy?" He asks pissed. "Yes baba."

"You're happy but I'm here going through shame. You have ruined my reputation." He shouts through the phone. "Baba, I didn't do anything. I told you that yasir accused me."

I try to explain to him. "Shut up! Why would he lie to me?! You went out gallivanting."

I feel tears welling in my eyes, my throat closing up. My father doesn't even believe me.

"I wasn't gallivanting, baba. I was assaulted! I told you but you still believe a stranger over your daughter? Am I that useless to you?"

I cry, pacing. "I was assaulted, I didn't call you or tell anyone but my roommate not to worry you. I should've told you. People call me names because my parents don't believe me. If you don't, who will? Who will baba?"

I ask crying when I hear a click. "Baba, baba. Baba!" I call him. I sit on the floor, sobbing quietly so mama doesn't hear it. I cover my face with my hands, crying in it.

No one close to me understands me.

I felt an arm on my shoulder which startles me. "Cry, let it all out." She pats me as I hug her, crying loudly.

*********

"His name is nazir?" She asks patting my back. I nod, clearing my nose with a tissue. "I'm sorry, is there anything I could do for you?" She asks holding my hand, her face full of pity.

"No thank you. You don't have to pity me."

"I believed what people said at first." She shakes her head. "Just forget about it, what are we going to do today?"

She gasps. "Let's go shopping, I need some clothes." She stands up, smiling.

"Okay, I'll go get ready." I stand up too when mama staggers. "Are you alright?"

She shakes her head then stood up straight. "I'm fine, old age." She walks away. We are going to the hospital.

***********

I and mama walk towards the car. "Good afternoon." Usman greets mama. "Good afternoon, my son. Do I know you?"

"No, I'm actually Yasmin's neighbor, Usman. Are you her mother?" He asks. "Yes, I'm her mother."

"Its very nice meeting you."

She nods as he walks away. "Is he really your neighbor?" She turns to look at me.

"Yes, nothing more." I say walking to the driver's side. "Ok." She was about to pull the door when she collapsed.

"Mama." I run to her side.

Vote

Follow

Comment