Sides

Summary; Y/N and Ellie used to be together before Y/N took sides with Joel and agreed with what he did. Ellie is now with Dina, but Y/N still loves her.

*just a little disclaimer. I wrote this whilst tipsy. Bad night 😅*

There's no heavy spoilers for TLOUp2, just a lot of hurt and angst.
____***____

Every day just merged into one another now, morning, noon and night. Awkwardness was thick in the air at all times as Maria still hadn't changed yours and Ellie's patrol times. You and Ellie had been together for quite some time, best friends from the day she got to Jackson which then blossomed into a fast pace romance. You spent all hours of the day together unless either one of your duties was at a different time. You even lived together behind Joel's house.

You were with Ellie when the whole fireflies thing came out in the open. You knew about her immunity and you knew the trouble Joel and Ellie had endured trying to get her there. In the swiftness of the argument you had sided with Joel, if he didn't do what he did, you would have never met her, and although she could have been the saviour to the rest of the human race, you were selfish. You were glad he did what he did. You really were. Ellie was the light in all your dark, she was the person that made your life worth living. She was that spark to your happiness, your joy, she was everything to you and without her, your life was a miserable black abyss filled with taunt, hurt and murder. A whole lot of murder. Everyone needed someone to trudge through this life with. Ellie was your person, the main word being was.

Ellie never did forgive you for siding with Joel, and from then on, you hardly spoke. The last thing you heard from Ellie was, we're done.

***

It had been months since it all came out in the open. And although you hadn't moved on, Ellie obviously had. She had got close to Dina and they were now dating, nothing serious, but it was obviously getting to that stage. You never were a huge fan of her, she seemed to get round everyone, but if Ellie was happy, you would deal with it. Not that you had any choice in the matter. You weren't anything to Ellie anymore, just someone that went on patrol with her and even then she ignored you. You would have probably had more conversation with a clicker than you did with her.

One afternoon as you were clearing the stables with Tommy, Maria approached you with a sunken face which only meant one thing. Patrol with Ellie.

"Y/N... I know it's such short notice, but..." she huffed. Everyone was still stepping on eggshells when it came to the conversation of you and Ellie. "I need you to head out to section 3 with Ellie." Maria was standing awkwardly. One hip out more than the other with her hand resting against it as she almost dug at the ground with her feet, "Ellie knows. She will be here in 10 minutes, but it'll probably be 15. She's always late when Di..." Maria stopped and shook her head. She knew the whole Dina situation was still sore to your heart. "Talk when you get back? Need to run a few things over your head." You nodded and watched as Maria walked off with an almost fast pace, it was obvious she didn't want to be around when Ellie turned up. You didn't blame her. You didn't even want to be around when Ellie turned up.

Putting the reins on your horse you pulled her to the gates and waited for Ellie. Your horse couldn't exactly be your person as she wasn't one, but she definitely was your best friend. You ran your hand down her mane that had a few plaits in and patted her neck as a few stray hairs flew away in the wind before you heard the familiar sound of hooves on snow from Shimmer.