Chapter 23

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Returning to the Past

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Following Annie's decision, she was granted permission by her aunt to stay with the March sisters back home in Concord. So now, she sat silently on a seat inside the carriage which would take her to her desired location. 

The sun shone brightly up in the sky, melting all of the remaining snow on the ground, leaving behind nothing more than dried up leaves and muddy puddles. With the winter season coming to a close end, Annie was no longer wearing thick coats of clothing - opting for her thinner designs instead. 

Across from her sat Maxwell, who was lazily fiddling with his fingers as he gazed out the opening. He was escorting her to the March house, while he would stay at his uncle's house in the meantime. He meant to complete some unfinished business, so his father had sent him. Convenient as well because Annie was going to the same town as him.  

Suddenly, the carriage came to a halt and Annie glanced out to see that she was, in fact, right outside of the house. She had prepared to step out of the carriage when Maxwell had suddenly caught a hold of her left hand. 

"Don't go having too much fun without me," he whispered assertively, but the playful grin on his lips stated that he was just kidding around. 

She gave him a wry look as she shook her head. "You're such a tease."

"That, I can agree on," he said, not yet letting go of her hand as he leaned back comfortably in his seat. He glanced at her with a smirk etched on his face. "Perhaps one of my many attributes that had you falling head-over-heels for me?"

She rolled her eyes playfully. "Now, now. No need to get your head big, because the Lord knows it's reached its maximum size."

Maxwell chuckled under his breath, saying that she should know that he was just kidding. "But you know I'm honest, don't you? If you have too much fun without me, I'll get jealous rather quickly because all I'll be doing is staying at home with my aunt and uncle."

"You'll be working, though."

For us, he wanted to say. "Same difference."

"You can always come over to visit," Annie offered, and he pretended to think about it.

He pouted. "Just visit?"

"We might have a spare bedroom upstairs. In fact, we have had one since Meg's wedding. . ."

"No, I mean - without everyone."

"Without everyone?" she repeated with uncertainty. "In that case, you can always just send me a letter."

"Goodness woman, are you really so unsure, or are you just playing dumb on purpose to spare my feelings?" The question was quiet, making her still part way through picking up her bag. 

"Maxwell?"

"I've been waiting until the end of this ride to ask you to head somewhere with me, so that we could meet for a reason apart from this trip." He reached out to tuck some hair behind her ear, his hands warm against her skin. "Will you?"