Chapter 27

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Mine, Yours and Ours

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

It was a relatively quiet and peaceful day outside of the March residence, while inside of the property and into one of the most lively rooms were three girls having a pillow fight.

Annie, Beth (who was pretty much asleep now), Amy, Meg and Jo were having what they would call 'girls' time' where most young ladies of their age would share conversations about their suitors and practically bore themselves to death, but they'd instead made their own version . . . A very well behaved pillow fight that would usually result in messed up sheets and knotted hair. "No, no, Jo! Don't you dare -" Meg screeched as Jo hit her fast and hard with a pillow, resulting with the brunette falling flat on her face with a thump.

Jo and Amy took the opportunity and quickly attacked the girl with more pillows, and they kept hitting playfully as Meg muttered some curses under her breath which shouldn't have been used by such a proper lady of her age.

"Enough! I surrender!" Meg's helpless, almost angelic voice called out. The other girls backed away slowly, giggling uncontrollably at the mess of a blonde knot that their friend had.

"You two are awful," she scolded them, trying her best to stay serious but her adorable pout wasn't making the task any easier. "I should meet John in a few hours and if I look like this, he may as well call off the marriage -"

"Meg, you're making a big deal out of this for nothing. I mean, John would take you out on your worst day, he would!" Jo chuckled, sighing as she laid comfortably on Annie's bed, spreading both of her arms and legs like a starfish. Well, as much as she could with such a tight dress like hers on anyway. Meg excused herself to fix her hairdo, earning a look of annoyance from the former.

Annie nodded, slumping on a wooden chair as she hugged a pillow close to her chest, a mesmerized glint in her eyes.

Jo and Amy eyes one another before turning to the girl, realizing that the look on her face was definitely hopeless love. Jo smiled devilishly and snapped her fingers, causing Annie to steer back to reality.

"What? Why are you two staring at me like that?"

Jo smirked, sitting up. "Oh, nothing. . ."

Annie placed the pillow aside, giving both of the girls a slightly more harsh glare. "Stop it, you two."

Amy shrugged innocently, sitting down beside the older blonde March sister. "We didn't do anything."

Rolling her eyes, Annie stood up from her seat. "I'm going to go make myself some tea."

She was already heading out of the door as Jo teasingly called out, "Try not to think about the haunting honey brown eyes while making tea!"

"Or the sharp jaw!"

Annie stomped back into the room, glaring daggers at the two girls. "You two are not funny."

Jo brought a hand to her chest, falsely gasping as she cried out, "Anne, your words hurt me right there." She pointed to her heart as Amy smiled, shaking her head.

Annie took a deep breath and walked back out of the room as planned. It was no use meddling with these girls, and she was better off ignoring them. At least for a little while.

***

Fortunately for her, the girls had finally left and continued on with their day, their torturous teasing safely coming to an end with only a few remarks here and there.

Annie McLaren was one of the most oddest, nervous, and yet - weirdly enough, most optimistic people you could even meet. She had her own fair share of faults, but it didn't stop her from trying to stay true to her own personality.

The blonde looked around the garden she stood in. It was the one place that Maxwell could assure Annie that nobody had heard of before. Especially not the sisters, who were the reason why the two were meeting each other secretly today anyway. She could just feel their cheeky grins if they were to ever catch them.

Annie tightly held onto the smooth fabric of her dress, lifting it up as she walked over to the nearest bench to wait for him.

Not long had passed before a panting and breathless Maxwell arrived. She furrowed her brows inquisitively. "Maxwell? Why were you running?"

"I-I'm - so, so sorry for being late!" he breathed out, panting as she moved over to let him sit on the bench as well.

"It's alright." She shrugged. "Wait, you came running because you were late?"

Maxwell nodded. "I didn't want you to wait long."

In any other moment Annie would have been flattered, but when it came to him running all the way here from the LeBlanc mansion which was about a half hour away from their little place without at least a carriage - she had to pinch him. And she did just that as he yelped a bit in surprise. "You're so foolish!"

"That was a very nice thank you," he commented sarcastically as she rolled her eyes.

Already over the little incident, Annie punched his shoulder lightly, and Maxwell clearly took her action for a different meaning as he smiled smugly, wrapping an arm around the back of her seat.

Annie and Maxwell were definitely the awkward and nervous type when alone, but around one another - they tended to be completely different people. Quite confident and sure of themselves (apart from whenever they were reminded that they were engaged to be married) which was one of characteristics to their truly unique friendship.

Their small moment of peace only lasted so long as Annie looked at Maxwell thoughtfully. "So?

"So . . .?"

"You called me today," she prodded, smiling teasingly. "So, what did you have planned? Surely you didn't think that we'd just sit around all day, huh?"

Maxwell shrugged, a nervous smile on his face, and it was then that Annie knew that he definitely didn't know why he had called her over today, and they'd probably just spend their time together doing absolutely nothing.

And for some reason, that was okay with her.

---

Author's Note:

So . . . I went MIA for a little while regarding this book. I chose to spend more time on another book which is published on this platform. Needless to say, I'm back and hopefully be back to normal updates!