Chapter 15

I could see my house, it was just as it had always been. No SWAT team outside or 100 people with pitchforks and torches ready to hunt me down. I stop walking and so does Chance, he looks and me and tilts his head.

"Are you okay, Violet?"

"Yeah...," I tell him," but you won't be if you go any closer."

"What?," he laughed, not understanding.

"I was supposed to be home at sunrise," I tell him looking into the sky, he looked up too. The sun was high above, shinning brightly down, it was about noon,"So... I'm a late. Really late. Like 6 hours late. There gonna be mad about that."

"Well, I can go and explain what hap-"

"No. We can NEVER tell my parents what happened last night, EVER. Okay?," I ask," Promise?"

"I promise. I promise. I just don't see what the big deal is, you're a little late," he said shrugging.

I gave him my Are you a complete idiot? look. He looked at me completely unfazed by my expression.

"Chance...we were out all night...,"still nothing"...I'm WAY passed curfew..." he was lost,"...they think you're a bad kid..."

He thought about it and his eyes budged. "Oh...Oh my god. Uhm... Oh god. I can see it now," he looked down uncomfortably.

"Yeah, soooo... maybe you can walk to my door another time," I said hoping he would pick up the clue.

He grinned," So you want to go on another date with me, huh?"

I smiled innocently," Oh...why not? It was something new. I liked it... and I liked spending time with you," I look at the ground blushing.

"I liked it, too. You're so much more than you appear to be, Violet. So brave and selfless," he sounded blown away while describing me," You're amazing."

I looked up at him, his eyes were so pure and delicate," Chance...I think. Uhm, well.. I like you."

"Like a friend...?," he was trying to get me to say it first.

"That depends," I stated, he face was priceless and I giggled. He looked shocked and he was speechless. I continued," Do friends kiss?"

He closed his mouth and smirked," No. Friends don't kiss."

"So, With that logic, I guess I have to like you more than a friend," I say stretching out my words.

"Good," he bends down, but I back up.

"Chance...," I tell him reluctantly,"This won't help my convince them of our innocence."

He smiled devilishly," Who says I want to be innocent?," and then he kissed me. It was short and sweet, but it was passionate and conveyed the message he wanted to send. He liked me back.

When he pulled away, he was grinning. "What," I asked.

"Just thinking...," he looked at me his eyes were piercing, it made my legs weak when he looked at me like that. "I definitely like you more than a friend." With that he turned and walked down to the main road. I watched him for a second, absorbing the perfect moment, then turned to face the house and lost all the warmth.

Shit. There was my dad, standing outside with smoke coming off him. Shit, shit shit.

I walked up to my house, not trusting myself to look up at my father's angry and disappointed eyes.

I walked up the steps to the porch slowly, one at a time, until I saw my dad's paws and stopped.

"Get. Inside...NOW." He was trying to keep calm, but was failing miserably.