A Moment with Henry Ravenswood - Chapter Two

Henry Ravenswood was very satisfied with his work. In fact, he couldn't be more satisfied. The town of Thunder Mesa was booming into an industrial dwelling, with hard workers and businesses multiplying. Henry was told that mining for gold in the desert was a stupid idea. Only weeds would grow, not your money, he remembered someone telling him.

"Ha!" he scoffed. Now look at him. His project was growing, the money was racking in, and he couldn't be more proud of what he's done.

And he didn't do it alone. Martha, his faithful and obedient wife at his side, who encouraged him to build himself to power. Inspired by his lovely daughter, Melanie, who looked to her father for comfort and strength, he thought. She was certainly blossoming into a beautiful, young lady.

It just seemed like yesterday, she was just a baby, chubby cheeked and adorable. Being lost within his business, the years went by quickly. Henry felt a little teary-eyed thinking just about how much his little girl had grown up, and how proud he was. With a sudden realization, his tender mindset changed.

Suitors would soon be lining up at the door. Just imagining Melanie hand in hand with some rat disturbed Henry. It wasn't the fact that his future son in law would try to stick his hand in the family fortune, it was that Melanie would be leaving Thunder Mesa, and her family.

Henry had a glimmer of hope that maybe they'll stay, but there was always the possibility of not. He always thought that she would stay with him, take care of him when he's old and frail, and be by his side until he died. Either way, he didn't like it. Everything was going so well, and now this is going to be on his conscience. And he won't be compromised, not even for a second.

But for now, he'll make a small promise to himself. If anything were to come in the way for his success, or his family's well being, he was going to stop them at any cost. Even if that meant murder.