The Earthquake - Chapter One

What was supposed to be a bright, sunny day turned into complete madness. An earthquake has hit Thunder Mesa. And unlike the others in the past, this one felt different. It felt more catastrophic, more deadly.
Melanie swung the carriage door open, running towards her mansion. She felt the heat of the air hit her face, amping up her anxiety.

"Madam, please! It's dangerous!" the carriage driver shouted, chasing after her. Melanie ignored him, picking up her pace. The long steps to the top made herself feel like she was going in slow motion. As she finally reached the porch, her heart sank. The entire mine and half of the town had collapsed. All of it. Smoke floated in the air, the cries of the poor residents and miners that were injured and trapped rang out.

Anna, Melanie's maid, rushed to her side, aghast at the sight before her.

"Ma'am, it's still dangerous out here, we need to go-"

"Where's my parents?" Melanie said, her voice low and shaky. She gripped her arms tightly, her nails digging into her elbows.

"She went with your father to the mines-" she said quietly, her hand on Melanie's shoulder. Her mind raced. And it hit her. Melanie took off down the hill, running as fast as she could. Ignoring the cries of her maid, she reached the bottom in no time. A wave of dust flew into her eyes and nose, causing her to cough. She dug her hands into the dirt and shoveled as much as she could, you can say in a sad attempt to save her mother. Pools of tears welled in her eyes, blurring her sight.

"Help me please! My parents, they're stuck please!" she sobbed, her shoulders racking in panic and hopelessness.

Suddenly, a black mass flew across the sky, enveloping the site in darkness. Thunder rolled ahead, the sound startling everyone.Melanie's head shot up. It sounded like multiple gunshots, ringing out into the sky, each roll of thunder sounding louder than the last. She still couldn't see it.

It was quiet. All was completely still. The wind had stopped, the sound of the earth shaking ceased.

In a crescendo of fright on her back, Melanie turned around. She would regret this most sincerely. Piercing electric blue eyes stared down at Melanie, looking straight into her petrified soul. Its pitch black wings expanded, its sharp claws dug wilts into the dirt.

"Thunderbird.." Melanie said, and suddenly, almost soothingly, she felt her conscious slip out of her head, and her sight went black.