Chapter 1

Cora's P.O.V.

I slid off my lumpy bed to look at the picture of my father, which hung above my dusty dresser. As I made my way, the old wooden floorboards creaked beneath my feet, squeaking protests. 

You said you won't cry, Cora, I thought to myself, Don't you dare start again. 

Telling myself not to cry over and over never works. Forceful words become overpowered by the look  that's broken in my eyes. I shifted my watery gaze to the bare, white-washed walls before turning to the dresser

Opening a drawer to the dresser, the sound of wood scraping against wood was like a banshee screaming insults at me. I grabbed a pistol that lay on a folded shirt and threw it in my bag, followed by more clothes and crap. Today I leave everything behind: my family, my friends. Everyone I loved. 

"Cora, we gotta go."

Liz's words made my heart skip a beat. Her voice, laced with pain, held a note of forced finality. Tears escaped my eyes, and when I turned to face her, I found that they slipped from hers as well.

As we walked out the door of my small cottage, I glanced at my father's photo. When the picture was taken, did he know he would be dead soon? Be leaving his family? 

Our torn shoes crunched against the gravel underfoot. The ground wailed of the danger we'd be facing soon. 

There was a long silence, in which Liz and I kept our thoughts to ourselves. "You ready for this?" I asked, finally breaking the pensive silence and snapping Liz out of her thoughts. 

"Ready then I'll ever be. Life is gonna change for everyone," Liz said, "You, me, all our family. Just everyone."

"What's the plan once we get there?" I purposely kept my eyes dead ahead. 

Liz shrugged and kept going.

"Well, if this is gonna work, we have to have a plan," I persisted, feeling exasperation and worry overwhelm me. 

"What plan is there to explain?" She retorted. "We head into the rich parts of the city, over the fence, and kill the government leaders."

"But it's not gonna be that simple. And your father works for the government as a guard. Because that's what us poor do. Defend and kill. But what if he doesn't recognize us? Even though you told him our stupid idea, what if he shoots us right between the eyes?" I pressed on.

Liz halted, turning on me. "Would you just stop worrying for two seconds? We'll be fine. And if we do die, we died for equality. So ignore those fears and come on!"

We stepped onto charred grass from previous fires. It crinkled beneath my feet as Liz and I continued traveling through the rest of the smallish ring of the poor.

Liz's P.O.V.

Cora was really getting on my nerves at this point. I stopped and turned and kinda yelled at her.

"Would you just stop worrying for two seconds? We'll be fine. And if we do die, we died for equality. So ignore those fears and come on!" And what do you know, she shut up. As we walked closer to the city I started hearing noises coming from behind us.

A tall guy with light colored hair about in his mid thirties. Chasing after us with a gun pointed right at us. Seconds later we were cornered off. With only luck and hope on our side.