τέσσερα

*Genesia's POV*

"So!" Galand announces. "Will you do it?"

Escanor trembles.

"... I'll do it." he eventually says. 

This is going to be an eventful show. I hope, for Elaine's sake, that Escanor doesn't lose.

"Well said!" Galand cries, slapping Escanor on the shoulder, and essentially knocking him unconscious. 

I tune out the rest of whatever he's saying as I focus on Elaine's thoughts.

Gen... Gen? Can you hear me?

There we go.

Yes, I can hear you. I think I know what happened, Elaine. Was it jealousy? I think.

Yes, she responds with a hint of guilt in her voice.

Don't worry about it. I think. I nearly killed Meli, so...

What? Her voice sounds horrified.

Don't worry, he's fine. But for now, just rest. I'll heal you after this fight.

Okay. She thinks, before I stop reading her mind.

*time skip brought to you by Elizabeth's raging jealousy*

Galand gulps down yet another bottle of ale as Melascula gently rests her head on a barrel. I'm floating on my back, my legs crossed. 

"It's already been half a day." she moans. "He hasn't stirred at all... is he dead?"

"And is it just me, or has it gotten warmer in here?" she adds.

I smile slyly. 

Seems like Escanor's power only shows itself during the day. How queer.

And also, if he has Mael's Grace, then... what happened to Mael?

Perhaps he...

No. Don't even think about that.

"Galand!" Mela snaps. "You've barely been answering me. Are you drunk?"

Galand ignores her. 

"Hey, look at that thing he's got hanging there." he slurs drunkenly, pointing at an axe hanging on the wall.

"Now that is one gorgeous and riveting battle axe!" he continues, less drunkenly. "That's the craftsmanship of a great master, for sure!"

"Why don't you take it?" I ask, smiling innocently, my head on my hand.

"Oh, I couldn't, Pretty Thing." he responds.

"So dutiful." I tease, purposely goading him.

"Nngh." he groans, picking up the axe in a failed attempt to impress me. "It's heavy!"

"What's with this battle axe?" he asks. "Talk about a design flaw. The head of the axe is so heavy the length of its handle should be three times longer. It's too short as it is now to be held with two hands."

"Naturally. Because this is a one-handed axe." Escanor's voice rings out, much more confident than yesterday.

He picks it up, out of Galand's hands.

"It's the Sacred Axe, Rhitta." he says, holding it carefully. "A battle axe loved by the sun and crowned with a maiden's name. Not something that Demons like you, who writhe in the darkness, should touch."