9 | johnny cash but make it emotional | simon x markus

just a tiny drabble this time, based off my favourite song :') sunshine wasn't originally a lullaby, but this version made me all warm and relaxed and i am SO goddamn soft for simarkus so here you go 

It starts, as most things do, in the velvet cloak of night; Markus's hand is softly-glowing marble where it rests against his chest, arm comfortably crushed between their entwined bodies and fingers tracing patterns on Simon's bare chest. His lips are curled into a smile, starry eyes half-lidded and crinkled at the corners. His gaze is fond, slow, as it roams across the planes of Simon's body. 

"You are my sunshine," he begins, voice barely more than a husky murmur, and it takes Simon a moment to realise he's singing. Markus's smile blooms to fruition, and he presses his forehead to Simon's chest. Synthetic skin fizzles away where they touch. He can feel the words vibrating against his skin as his boyfriend continues. "My only sunshine..."

"Markus," Simon murmurs, biting down a smile, but he melts further into their embrace. Warmth appears in his chest, spreads through his body. He tucks the duvet over an exposed patch of Markus's neck.

"You make me happy," his boyfriend's words are muffled against his chest; he slips his hand from between them and pulls their bodies impossibly closer, wrapping his arms around Simon's back instead, and rests one thigh on the peak of Simon's hip so their legs can tangle properly, "when skies are grey."

He kisses the crown of his boyfriend's fuzzy head. "You'll never know dear, how much I love you."

Markus's smile is full against his chest. "Please don't take my sunshine away."

"Please don't take my sunshine away," Simon echoes, stroking circles into his warm chassis.

He was wrong, Simon thinks, to compare the night to a cloak - it's more like a blanket, fluffy and navy blue, laying softly over them as they sleep.