Havana

The driver took them in the Nakano area, in the North West part of Tokyo, which was more off the path and a little less touristic.

Shinji, the Tokyo fixer, told them about a gem they would never forget, a hidden spot by the Koenji station where the locals usually go for a hot nutritious bowl of ramen.

Getting out of the car, they found themselves in front of a narrow pedestrian street where the restaurant was located. It was the second little building on the right.

In a very Japanese way, Shawn took the lead and pushed away the small curtains with Japanese characters hanging at the top of the entrance

"After you Señorita!"

Her boyfriend's chivalry made Camila giggle. While they made their way inside, they were both welcomed by an energic "Irasshaimase" from the restaurant owner. The place was packed with Japanese white collars taking their lunch break but they found two empty high seats at the bar, with a full view on the kitchen.

As excited they both were to try the best ramen in the world, they felt a bit frustrated by the lack of intimacy of the place. They knew they had to be less touchy to fit with the local appropriate behaviors and would repress their usual PDA enthusiasm. Still, it was hard for them not to be in contact so they intertwined their hands under the bar while admiring the pictures on the menu.

"Two classic ramens", ordered Shawn, raising two fingers and pointing to the coveted specialty.

They were both amazed by the cooking show taking place right in front of them. The chef, a man in his sixties dressed in a white uniform and a white cap on his head, filled two bowls with a smoking hot brown broth and made noodles dance in the air before plunging them into it.

Less than a minute later, they were presented in front of the couple, delicious perfumes initiating the experience.

"Itadakimasu!"

"Arigato!", shouted together Shawn and Camila, too proud of practicing the only Japanese word they knew.

Sluuuuuuuuuuurp

Sluuuuuuuuuuurp

Camila was the first to taste and suck in the noodles like a real pro.

"My oh my, this is sooooooo good!"