SR - ATTACK

After their first official talk last night, Joohyun asked Seulgi out for a friendly dinner date, which Seulgi agreed to right away.

"I'm still paying for this. End of discussion," said Joohyun, pointing her finger around the foods on the table. "I feel awful for making you feel bad about yourself. It was not my intention. I'm sorry. I know this isn't enough, but let me at least make it up to you by treating you to dinner."

Seulgi knew it's going to be futile to insist. "Fine. But it'll be my treat next time, okay?"

"I'm looking forward to it." Joohyun separated the chopsticks and went for meat. "Ooh. Delicious!"

"You're a nursing student, right?" asked Seulgi, grabbing a slice of meat for herself.

Joohyun nodded. "It runs in the family. My dad's a doctor."

"Nice. Planning to be one too?"

"No plans. People always assume I'll follow dad's footsteps. But I want to make a point. I want them to know that nurses are equally as important as doctors. Those doctors won't last a day if nurses aren't around."

"Have you told your dad about that?"

"Yeah. And he laughed at me."

Seulgi just chuckled, silently thinking how lucky Joohyun is to have both of her parents still alive.

"I also heard another rumour around here. You're Doctor Kang's daughter?" asked Joohyun.

"Yeah. You know my dad?"

"He's quite a legend now, in case you still don't know. My dad admires your dad so much. Says he's the reason we found a way to kill Evens."

"Which cost him his life." Seulgi huffed. "I was there. I saw it."

Joohyun put her chopsticks down. "I'm sorry. It must've been hard for you."

"Was. But I've learnt to accept it. It took me time. But here I am, trying to live a normal life."

"Is that the reason you're joining AEF and want to be part of SAU?"

"Those monsters killed my family." Seulgi scrunched up her face. "I was too young to remember my mom. I grew up seeing dad doing his research. He had that burning desire to create a new world for everyone, something I might've gotten from him. My only focus now is to spend my life protecting people and eradicating Evens from this planet."

"That's admirable." Joohyun looked at Seulgi with a warm expression. "People like you, the ones who are joining AEF, I look up to you highly because you're giving up a part of your life so others could live a normal life. I wish I have the courage to be like that. But I'm too scared."

"It's fine. We all have our calling. Not everybody can be in AEF. Same with not everybody can be a nurse. I would suck if I worked in a hospital."

Joohyun chuckled. "Truth is, my dream is to serve AEF too by working in the headquarters' hospital. I want to take part in treating those wounded soldiers."

"Well, that's a noble thing."

"Maybe. But my mom doesn't like that idea. Ugh." Joohyun rolled her eyes.

"I guess this is one of the perks of not having any parents. No one can mess with my decision," said Seulgi, making Joohyun laugh.

"I was wondering, who took care of you?"

"I was sort of adopted, not legally, by one of the SAU members who rescued me. Her name's Captain Eunmi. Single. No kids. Although I stayed mostly in the orphanage because she's always away due to her duties, she supported me. She pays for my school, buys me stuff, gives me gifts. I guess she's one of the reasons I wanted to be in SAU badly."