Just a Crush

"Are you ready for the party tonight?"

     "Almost."

     I walked out of the closet and presented myself to Jay.   I spun around, so that he could get a full view of my new outfit.  An all-black number that hugged my curves and had cut-outs in all of the right places.

     "Damn, that's awfully sexy.  What's the occasion?"

     "I've decided that it's time to put myself back out there.  It's been long enough since my disastrous relationship with Zane ended.  It's time that I find myself a new man."

     "Are you sure that this isn't all for one man in particular?"  Jay hinted, not-so-subtly.

     "What are you talking about?"  I looked at him with my eyebrow cocked.

     "You know...are you sure that you aren't all gussied up for Trace?"

     "You know that I am over that whole infatuation."  I stated, rolling my eyes as dramatically as I possibly could.

     "Sure, you are."  Jay teased.

     "I am."  I asserted, planting my hand on my hip.

     "Uh huh...I know."  Jay continued, sarcastically.

     "Look, I know that when we were younger, I was a bit..."

     "Obsessed."

     "Okay...obsessed...whatever."  I rolled my eyes at him again.   "But over the years, I realized that he is never going to be the kind of man that I want him to be."

     "What do you mean?"

     "You know me.  I'm not in a rush to get married or whatever.  But I would like to know that my man is serious about me and ONLY me.  Trace is too much of a player.  He changes women faster than most people change their underwear.  I refuse to be just another notch on Trace's bedpost.  Plus, with our living and working situation, we cannot really afford any awkwardness between the three of us.  It is just better to leave things the way that they are."

     "I cannot argue with your logic there."  Jay admitted.  "But it is a shame, you guys would be the ultimate power couple.   Him, with his big bad mafia boss ways, and you with your whole kill them with a smile, sexy, black widow-thing that you have going on."

     "How about you quit worrying so much about my love life and work on one of your own."

     "My love life is just fine.  Thank you very much.  As a matter of fact, I have a couple of prospects coming to the party tonight."

     "You're almost as bad as your brother."

     "Hey!  I am may be similar, but I am not that bad.  What can I say?  It's a fun way to live.  Trace has got some of the right ideas."

     "Oh, brother..." I huffed in disapproval.

     "You know me, if I ever met the right woman, I would happily give up my playboy ways.  But until then, I might as well enjoy myself."  Jay chuckled.

     "Yeah, that's probably the biggest difference between you and Trace.  I believe you when you say that you are looking for 'the one.'  Trace wouldn't know the right woman if she hit him over the head."

     "You only say that because you believe that you're the one for him."  Jay teased again with a wink.

     I stopped messing with my hair for a moment and turned, swinging my foot into Jay's shin.