Deterred

After being left with the wreckage of what was supposed to be a relaxing day, Gerard and I thought that we would never be able to live happily without our soulmate. The feeling was crushing and came over the both of us like an unexpected tsunami. The only thing that we could hope for now was that the people who exposed the system would continue to reveal their secrets, and that the information would be more helpful to us than the last time.

Once again, Gerard and I were left to play the waiting game with cards we never asked for.

Like it had happened every other time, the news slowly came flowing in like a cool breeze on a hot summer's day.

We were waiting for the news with impatience when another 'breaking news' alert appeared. This time, though, the news was warmly welcomed to Gerard and me for we had never heard of this evidence before.

"The mystery worker, at it again, exposing the system after the groundbreaking mistake. This source, which is currently unknown, not only proved that the matches were never wrong in the first place, but also that the matches were merely switched. For example, a match that was originally 1-1 would be switched with a match like 2-2, meaning that for each 1 there would now be a 2. What does this information..."

After this fact was spoken, my hearing went fuzzy. All Gerard and I would have to do is travel to Frankie's house, drop me off, then pick up his original match, Lindsay.

Right?

"...After this information had been leaked, though, the system has put an immediate lockdown into place for all people affected by the matching system. Many are now questioning, though, whether the system has the authority to elicit such a mandate."

Gerard and I looked at each other. "I know what you are thinking," he said. "But there is no way that it can be that simple."

I nodded in agreement sadly. "Additionally, we can't even go and attempt to make the switch with this lockdown. Even if people don't know if the system can make such a law, we still will most likely be punished for breaking it. If anything, we probably have to be even more careful than before because the mistake affected us directly."

I nodded again, allowing the thoughts to saturate my mind. "I'm growing impatient, though. I'm sick of waiting."

For a moment, our eyes wandered the room, scanning over each object as though we were seeing it in a new light.

Gerard broke the silence, though, saying something so blatantly predictable and mediocre: "If you're impatient, that makes two of us."

W.C.: 451 Words