5. Improv

-/-/-

"So what you're saying is you'll be in Japan for, more or less, a month."

"Yep."

"Because you got in a car crash which ultimately invalidated your visa."

"Yes."

"And you're stuck with your high school ex-girlfriend because not only did she save your life, she has similar visa issues."

"Yupperoo."

"Plus the cab driver whose life you saved is now helping you get your visa solved."

"Mhm."

"Then the only solution to your problems is to act as if you guys are a couple who dreams to get married in Japan, and are both very dumb in love."

"Spot-on."

"And... how are you doing?" Ian asks, concerned. "Oh, Damien. I never thought something like this would happen when I told you to take a break. I'm sorry."

"It's alright, dude!" I assure him, laughing. "I mean, it's a bit of a hassle, but Japan's still splendid in so many ways. I've gotten you guys so much stuff, so I really can't wait to get home. But that's pretty much it."

He sighs, and I hear him sip his drink, probably some MFC. "Well, I'll be extending your break until you return, okay? Maybe it's a big sign you've been working too much now."

"I suppose so," I reply, lying down on my hotel room's bed. "I just... it's just... I dunno. I feel weird around Jade. I already told this to Shayne a while back too."

"How do you feel weird?" he says, chuckling slightly. "Oh, you probably feel like... hmmm... you like her."

"Naaaaaaw!" I exclaim, laughing nervously. "No, not that. Definitely not that! I mean, she is stunning and really pleasant to look at and be with, but that's my ex-girlfriend. It's not really nice of me to like her again."

"Based on her Instagram account, she really is pretty, definitely your type, and progressive AF. Why'd you two break up anyway?"

I sigh. "Well..."

Someone knocks at my door, and I look at the peephole to see Jade patiently standing there. I open the door and mouth to her, "Talking to my boss."

"Oh, alright," she replies. "Should I come back later?"

"Uh, um... hey, Ian," I say to my phone. "I'll talk to you later, if that's cool with you."

"Ooh, she's there, isn't she?"

"Yep."

"And she probably wants to talk to you about the plan."

"Yes."

"Does she look pretty in your eyes?"

"...yupperoo."

"You're a little excited to talk to her, aren't'cha?"

"Mhm."

"That's adorable. Damien, you're such a sweetheart," Courtney says, probably talking over speakerphone. "Don't worry, it's not like me, Shayne, Keith, Noah, and Olivia have been listening to your call the entire time."

"Meanies," I grumble, smiling sadly. "Yeah, I'll talk to you guys later. Miss y'all."

"Your boss? You guys seem affectionate with each other," Jade remarks as I hang up.

"Oh, well, Ian's pretty chill, and all my friends are on the call too, so... yeah."

"What's your job anyway? I never got to ask."