8. Literature

-/-/-

The last time I went to the Kim residence, there was one thing I learned: Mrs. Kim was allergic to flowers. So she wouldn't buy me flowers, and she wouldn't have any reason to do so either. I hold the bouquet to my chest as I ride the elevator back to my floor, sniffing the little stems of lavender inserted between the daisies. Beautiful flowers, just like the ones I received from Damien back in high school, but there's a bit of a story behind that.

"Hey, girl!" Kendra greeted me as I closed my locker after getting a couple of books. "I'm so happy we finally have a really similar schedule. It's too bad Damien's schedule's completely different from ours."

"Is it?" I asked. "That is too bad, but today's the play and we can watch it during our second vacant period."

"I thought you were supposed to be there actually, being scriptwriter and all," she said as we walked to first period together. "Mr. Ronson didn't give you credits? White men, I tell you."

"Oh, I told him not to make me come up on stage, I really don't want any attention on me," I explained. "He kinda wanted it too, but I don't really care. I just want to watch it."

It was already January of 2007, with December flying in with a cold breeze and leaving as quickly as it came. Things were going well for everyone: Kendra was preparing for her scholarship applications for the next school year, because she was planning to be a nurse. She had a steady pair of hands and a good heart ready to save lives, so I was glad that she chose that career field. Damien, on the other hand, frequented Atlanta and even the faraway Los Angeles, California to book small roles in films and also TV series. I wasn't too pleased with his decision to pursue acting instead of using his sharp brain for college, but it was his life anyway.

What I didn't tell the both of them was that I had been fueling a brand new passion I discovered. After being praised for my writing, I was offered to join a literature club, where I was then recommended to the school paper. Now, people don't really read the paper these days, because iPods were becoming a thing, but the fun thing about being on the school paper was the columns. I was given a column of my own, kept anonymous, and there, I answered a bunch of student concerns better than the council could ever do. And aside from student concerns, since I had to keep it youthful and casual and all that, I had to address a bunch of school drama in the most professional yet catchy way possible.

"Did you read the latest column by Sixth Bennet Sister earlier?" Kendra told me, taking out the school paper from her bag. "Absolutely brilliant. No one has no idea who she is, aside of course the editors, but she speaks like she's part of everyone's friend group. I love her, and whoever she is, I'm gonna befriend that girl. And her advice yesterday, that's the talk of the town! The stone cold columnist is in love with someone... have you read it?"

"Oh, no, I haven't read it." I had read it probably more than ten times before publishing it.

"You should," she said, handing me the paper. "This girl, let me tell you, can have an entire career in journalism."

"You think?" I asked, flipping over to my column and pretending to read it with no idea of what's written.

"Oh, honey, I know," she answered as we sat in our seats and the bell rang. "She writes literature, girl. Literature."

I took a read at my latest column and sighed. A girl from the freshmen asked me through the publication email to help her out with balancing academics and having a relationship.

SIXTH BENNET SISTER
TODAY'S ADVICE: January 10, 2007

Dear Fresh Princess of Bel-Air,