Part 3

When Andy was all the way up he saw the door the door stand there alone and it looked huge. Suddenly something seemed to pull him towards it. The hair on his arms and neck began to rise and his breath became heavier. That's when he remembered that the door was locked and he didn't have a key. A wave of disappointment and relieve washed over him but he still moved closer and closer until he stood so close to the door he could touch it.

Suddenly a crazy idea hit him. What if the key was close? He looked around, went to the small window in case someone had put the key on the frame, but no. After some more searching he walked to the little table next to the door and opened the drawer, and would you believe, there was a key!

Suddenly, acting on pure impulse, he took the key, put it in the keyhole and turned, half expecting it not to fit. But the door opened with a crying creak and he pushed it and took a step inside.

Darkness hit him. Everything was black, and not just the ordinary black, but a cold, dripping and consuming kind of black that seemed to go straight through him. He tried to light the candle he had found on the little table just outside the room, but each time he lighted it the light somehow blew out as if a wind had passed by. After some attempts he sighed and fumbled around in the darkness. The room seemed empty at first, but then, in the middle of the room his foot hit something. It was hard, but not hard enough to be some kind of furniture. A picture of a big doll flashed before his eyes as he remembered that big doll that his cousin had, the doll that he once accidentally stepped on which had gotten him into so much trouble. He was just about to reach out to pick up whatever laid in front of him when suddenly all the curiousness ran of him alongside his bravery. Maybe it was best to just come back another time with a real lamp and explore more then.

It didn't take long for him to leave the room, but he backed the whole way out until he had stepped out. He wasn't sure why but somehow a big knot had started to grow in his tummy. It almost made him nauseous.

He pushed the door shut, thinking that someone had to oil that thing later. And then he turned his back to the door, with a slight disappointed for not finding something exciting

He slowly reached for the stairs when he suddenly stopped.

Goosebumps all over his body.

Blood running cold.

The hair on his neck began to rise.

The creaking sound of the door suddenly filled his ears again as a thought hit him. Hit him like a big punch, making his stomach twist and turn. A thought had hit him. A realization.

He hadn't locked the door after him.