CHAPTER 52: OKAY AGAIN

When Marley wakes up, it doesn't take him long to figure out that he's in some sort of infirmary.

Marley blinks up at the ceiling as he tries to get his bearings and recall what events happened to result in him waking up in a hospital.

He was at the castle, right. Then he was captured by Rowan... Rowan... then he saw his father, his father and Bren fell down...

Lola screamed. Everything burned. Bren came back, Marley went to save her... yeah, okay. Makes sense. After finding her in the room everything gets pretty blurry.

"Well, we don't know when he'll feel up to being in front of the public eye again. Last time he had to speak in front of people, he got shot, and he was in really bad shape last night." Marley can recognize that voice as Charlene, and he opens his eyes.

"The citizens really want to see him, but when it comes down to it, it's not our choice to make." Nero responds.

Marley sits up, finding Nero seated at his side with his mother seated a few feet away. They each look up at the movement, and Marley notices that his and Nero's hands are entwined.

"Good morning, sweetie," Charlene greets him. Marley runs a hand through his hair as he begins to get his bearings.

Marley blinks at her, looking around the room. He finds that it's just a single hospital room, and notices some sinks lining one wall with the other side of the room being occupied by the chairs currently inhabited by his mother and boyfriend.

"Where's Lola?" Marley asks, feeling alarmed. Nero averts his eyes. This strikes a tinge of fear in Marley, hoping that he won't be given bad news.

"She hasn't woken up." Charlene notifies him. Okay, that's not the worst news, but it's not great either.

"How do you feel?" Nero asks. Marley turns his attention over to the man.

"Good," Marley replies. His head hurts a bit, but other than that he feels fine.

Marley notices that the TV is on, and the headline simply reads;

THE KING IS DEAD, MARLEY NOCONA FOUND ALIVE OVERNIGHT

Huh. Well, okay. Marley examines his surroundings, finding a remote on the table beside where he's sitting. He leans over and grabs it, turning the volume up.

"—fell from Nocona Palace last night, crashing on the rocks below. The King died upon impact only last night. It is unknown what caused this tragedy, and where Marley had been all this time, while the world thought he was dead. He is currently being held in St. Mary's Hospital, after suffering injuries in the fire."

Marley glances over at his mom, and finds her staring at the ground, a face unreadable. The woman lost her husband, though she doesn't appear outwardly sad. Just... solemn. Marley really wants to know if she's the one that saved Bren, and if so, why she didn't save Allorn. Now is not the time to ask, though.

"I want a press conference," Marley states.

-

"Honey, you really don't need to do this. You're still recovering," Charlene notifies the prince. Marley shakes his head as the makeup artist attempts to brush his hair. A moment later and he lets her know that it's a hopeless case and she can move on.

Marley replies, "I want to get it over with."

She looks like she wants to respond, but then someone comes from behind the curtains. "Your Highness, you're up!"

Marley nods, takes one last drink of his water, and makes his way out onto the stage. He's immediately met by cameras flashing and people murmuring. He walks over to the microphone, and sizes it up.