A Whole New World

(A/n: Yes, all the chapters are going to be song names.)

Katrina stares happily at the portal, fully ready to enter the world of Coco. She's talking excitedly to her sister, Trish, about all the cool stuff she learned about Día De Los Muertos, the Day Of The Dead.

"Do think I'll make good friends with Miguel? Oh, and what about Coco? She seems so sweet!" Katrina practically squeals. She hears her sister sigh from her magic hiding place.

Why don't you find out? Trish mutters in slight annoyance. Just go through the freaking portal, you've been staring at it for ten minutes now.

Without any further hesitation, Katrina steps through. She smirks as her twin lets out a relieved sigh. Then she looks around, instantly picking up on the fact that something's off. All the buildings in Santa Cecilia look... Newer than they did in the movie. Katrina notices that she's standing in front of a single story red house, and the shriek of young children comes from inside.

By the way, this is your home while you're here. Trish tells her. Katrina sighs, not liking the idea of living with a bunch of screeching toddlers. I just didn't want you living on the street. By the way, you should ask the dad about family members living in Santa Cecilia. Have fun!

With that, Katrina's sister goes silent. After a minute, she realizes she looks almost the same as she does back home, with medium length black hair and an olive skin tone. A quick glance a nearby window tells her that her eye color is different, being a stunning emerald green rather than sapphire blue. She's wearing what she picked before she came here; a grey dress with a black skirt that's embroidered with pink roses on delicate green leaves with pockets in the skirt on either side, along with white socks and black dress shoes.

Reluctantly, Katrina walks in the door of the house she landed near. Instantly, a child that looks to be around three years old is shoved into her arms.

"Kat! Hold her while I round up the other children!" The woman who gave her the little one yells before rushing off.

Nearly an hour later, when all the kids are settled, Kat tentatively walks over to the man she distinguished to be the father of the house. He looks over with a blank expression as she approaches.

"H-hola..." She greets with a small smile. She looks nervously at the ground. "Do... Do we have any family that lives somewhere else? Like, not in this house, but still in Santa Cecilia."

"Well, there's your tía Imelda, your tíos Felipe and Oscar, and your tío Héctor." He explains nonchalantly. Katrina stares at him in utter amazement as Trish laughs like a maniac in the background.

"Okay. May I visit them?" She asks, already picturing the Rivera house when it was new. The father nods, waving her away and telling her something like 'be back before dinner'. Katrina quickly takes off out of the house and down the road.

She soon finds a familiar street and starts searching for the house. After a couple minutes of speed walking down the road, she hears someone playing the guitar. Instinctively, she follows the noise.

She finds a familiar house, and smiles a little. In the front yard, a fairly young man is playing a white guitar, his hands skillfully gliding across the frets as he picks at different strings. As Kat approaches him nervously, he grins wide and waves. She waves back with a shy smile, but is startled when the man stands and comes over to her, slinging the guitar over his back. He cheerily holds out a hand, and she shakes it.

"¡Hola, señorita!" He greets, hinting to Kat that he doesn't know her yet. He smiles cockily. "Heard my exceptional guitar skills, I take it? This is one of my favorite things to do. Oh, mi nombre es Héctor, by the way."