Chapter 10: Baby, It Is Just You And Me.

(Mature content below.)

"Your father is coming here tomorrow. We are going to court to sign the divorce papers."

"Finally. It is about time you two sign the divorce papers and get everything over with," Seth muttered, loud enough for Holly to hear across the table as he ate his dinner.

Holly's eyebrows rose, "I thought you were going to throw a tantrum like you usually do when things don't go your way."

"I have already thrown enough tantrums about you and dad's relationship as it is," Seth said, "I think it is time I finally accept the fact that you two can't get back together anymore. Cheating is hard to forgive. I completely understand where dad is coming from."

Holly ignored the jab as she smiled, "Great. We are finally moving on then. This crisis has taken a toll on all of us. It's time we bury the hatches, don't you agree?"

Seth gave a nod. He didn't care about his parent's divorce anymore, not like he used to in the past. A year of only speaking with his father over the phone and not being able to see him in person, he can say confidently now that he has gotten used to his absence. Not that it didn't hurt he wasn't here with him, it did but the ache has become more bearable now that he had Becky. She filled the void in a certain kind of way. It wasn't just her love and her constant support but it is the trust and confidence he has in her that made it easy for him to confide in her about anything. He feels at peace and safe with her and if anything, he doesn't miss his dad as much as he used to before. She makes his world a better place.

"So how is school," Holly asked, bringing him out of his thoughts. "Sorry I haven't been home much these days. Work has been hectic. A couple of girls were fired so I had to fill in the void they left at the supermarket. We haven't been able to talk much these days. Hope everything is well?"

"Yes, it is. School is great and in case you're wondering, I'm studying hard for the mid-term exams so you have no reason to worry. I will try my very best to pass."

"You're not studying for me Colby," Holly said softly, "You're studying for yourself and your future. I know I've been pressuring you a lot over your grades and I know it isn't fair because you're studying hard. But trust me, all I want is for you to succeed and become a better person. I'm your mother and that is all I wish for you."

Seth looked up at her, "I know." He said softly. Bitterness is something that has kept them apart for a very long time. Their relationship hadn't been the best in the past but at least it had been amicable unlike now. His father had been the glue that had kept them together and prevented them from tearing each other's hairs out when they didn't agree on something. When he had left, everything had come crumbling down and the fact that she had been the person that had destroyed the nice, little family they were back then made it all the more difficult for Seth to get along with her. But he had no doubts she loved him and he loves her too. "I know you do care about me. You don't have to repeat yourself each and every single time. I know you love me and want the best for me. I hope you know that. . . . even after everything that has happened. . . . I love you too."

Holly's eyes watered, her breath catching. She brushed a tear from her eye and laughed nervously, "Aren't we getting a little sentimental tonight? Is it just me or do you want something? Do you want me to do anything for you?"

Seth groaned, "Oh, come on. Now I can't tell you I love you without you thinking I want something from you?" Seth smiled despite himself as she nodded, "Fine. I know I made that reputation for myself but trust me I don't want anything from you this time. You never give me anything I want anyway so I will ask dad instead if I need anything."
Throughout the week, he had been contemplating on whether to ask his mom for help concerning the wrestling school when he couldn't get through to his dad. He hadn't asked his mother about his father for fear she might find out he needs help with the wrestling school's admission fees. Fortunately, his dad had called him on the next day and Seth had narrated everything to him; meeting Becky, befriending her, making her his girlfriend, the wrestling school and the problems associated with it. He hadn't told him the kissing part out of shyness but his father knew that was bound to happen eventually. It had been a long conversation, one that had kept him up all night and Rick had expressed his desire to meet Becky; his son's first ever girlfriend. He hadn't told him about the divorce part though but Seth suspected his father thought he might throw a tantrum if he knew just like his mother had been anticipating when she told him.