36

Agnetha was awake at just past noon to notice herself in a silent room. It was a moment of nothingness. She was well rested but was in a state where she could rest again. The silence of the room had her open her eyes again after the thought of her daughter. Had she been asleep all this time too? Where was Björn? Linnea? Had Lena entered?

She had noticed the movable bassinet for the baby was not there. There was no sign of anyone else and the sudden conclusions had her sit up. Her baby was gone already. Agnetha was already left behind. The struggle of lifting bed sheets exhausted her though they were light. She made it to her feet trying to settle her heaving chest as she held back a wave of emotions. From the bathroom, Björn overheard a voice that cried painfully. There was no mistake whose voice it was. He unlocked the door and rushed out of the bathroom to Agnetha's bedside, finding that she was panicking and standing on her own.

"Agnetha! Hey, what are you doing?"

"Where's Anna? Where is my baby?"

"She is with Lena now."

Agnetha bolted from bed, upright, sweaty, panting and disoriented. She was tired but she had to see her daughter. She was broken to find that she was beginning to relive her nightmare slowly. Agnetha was alone in the room, Björn is nowhere to be seen, and Anna was no longer there beside her.

"No," she breathed to herself as she fought to get up. Her body felt swollen and there was still pain. Much less than before but there was aching. She could not help that she was sobbing because she felt utterly weak and could not fight, but she had to. She promised she would fight for her daughter. Björn had only the chance to put on his black sweatpants when he listened to Agnetha's voice mumbling and crying. He hurried out of the bathroom, shirtless and hair still wet and wrecked.

"Hey, easy. Agnetha, let me help you. What happened?"

"I need to see her. Where is she? She took her, didn't she? She took her from me?"

"She took her, but she'll bring her back."

"Don't let her take her. You promised she wouldn't take her."

"Cynthia had taken her to the room and for also for her vaccine. It's okay." Her hands were holding onto his forearms and blue eyes shedding tears slowly as she was comprehending. It was only a dream. It was only a dream. "Come, sit down. I will call for her. We just figured it would be easier on you."

"I want to see her." Björn settled her gently and wiped her tears.

"I'll ask for her." He tried to walk her to the bed but she refused.

"I need the bathroom."

"Do you need help?"

"No," she gulped and dried the remains of her tears. "I'll manage."

It had been ten minutes for Agnetha to freshen in the bathroom. She didn't know what was suddenly hurting her, but her heart felt empty. It was a moment of vulnerability and uncertainty. Was she prepared for what was to come? She had given herself time to let it out before taking a deep breath and stepping into the room again. She couldn't avoid the change of heart when she saw Björn from behind, walking back and forth. She had relaxed. He looked up to see her and smiled proudly. He wasn't sure what it was but she had a glow during each pregnancy and even after labor, she never failed to make his heart flutter.

Björn reached an arm and helped her to the bed. His other arm carried their daughter and he sat beside Agnetha once she was comfortable.

"How are you feeling?" he asked. "You haven't eaten."

"I'm starving," she admitted. Her eyes never moved from Anna. She was so mini. Anna's eyes kept opening and closing as she looked around the room. She had small gloves over her hands and overalls that looked too big on her.