Crossroads

Crossroads

"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong."

- Ayn Rand

Suraj entered his new office with a good feeling - confident and slightly nervous. It wasn't 'his' new office to speak of; rather, it was his first day at the job. Ever! He had reached Nariman Point and then his office well before time and was greeted by the only person present there - the office boy - who seemed more like an office-man owing to his age. Suraj had seen the man a month ago when he had come here for his interview, but he had not paid much attention. Now Suraj saw him and assimilated his face, sort of photocopied it mentally to remember him. He would be interacting with him every day from now on.

"Yes?" the office boy asked Suraj, his yes ending with a careless questioning tone.

"I'm - I.. Suraj Batra." he said a little fumbling.

"Yes. Who do you want to meet sir?" asked the office boy again without looking at Suraj and tucking in his shirt, getting ready for his work.

"It's my first day here." Suraj managed to find words finally. He didn't know why his voice was shaky.

"Oh." the boy's expression changed. "Welcome sir."

Suraj could now hear his heavy south Indian accent in the Welcome, which sounded more like Waddacome.

"Im Thiru, sir." he said, smiling and flashing his white teeth.

Thiru looked in his forties, a little older, maybe. He was shorter and thinner than Suraj but in a healthy way. Suraj greeted Thiru and introduced himself again.

"Oh so you will be reporting to Vinay siraa" exclaimed Thiru.

"Yes," said Suraj. "He had interviewed me."

A thought crossed Suraj's mind, and before he could re-think on it, he asked Thiru, "How is Vinay sir? You know, like a boss?" He instantly regretted asking it. It was his first day, and he can't just trust anybody with such questions. He might be a tattletale - office assistants usually are, but Thiru answered.

"He is one open-mouthed man. Very strict and says yannnithing. In fact, no one tries to argue with him, not even Vinay sir's boss. He takes care of us all, but he is very angry and short-tempered when it comes to work. One mistake, and he will take you left and right."

Suraj's face faded a little. This was not what he wanted to listen to on his first day at work. Looking at Suraj, Thiru said, "Aiyyo don't worry, Suraj, sir. He is a good-hearted man, that way." This relieved Suraj a little. But only a little.

Thiru offered Suraj a cup of tea and told him to wait in the Cafeteria. Suraj saw the office and took it all in. So this was it, his first start to the corporate world. Long way to go, starting with Junior brand manager's position, he had to pave his way up. Although Thiru had given him concern about his boss, he was trying to be optimistic about his opinion. It was too soon to form an opinion, especially from the view of others. He sat down on an empty chair near the window. The white walls with grey chairs of the cafeteria made a nice contrasting view. The company's logo was on every chair, and the company name was written on every table - Plex Elite Corp.

"Here he is, sir, our newbie. Come come. He's waiting." Thiru's voice interrupted Suraj's thoughts. Thiru was standing with a tall and hefty person. He had a beard, no mustache, and a spectacle too small for his face. Thiru called Suraj towards him.

"This is Fahim sir." he introduced, beaming, "The only person in our office to use Path ek phillips watch, Gucci bag and Armani shirt." Thiru was proud of showing Fahim off like he was showing his own gold medal won in a running race. "But I don't know why he uses a four-year-old phone," said Thiru blurted out.