Thirty: Rutherford High

~J A C E~

The roar of the crowd was better than any drug to Jace. The rush of a touchdown, the crack of a bat against bone, the spirit of the game, a hot dog and pop - that's heaven right there. Unlike Darrick, Austin and Lenny, Jace could never play the ruthless game of Backnott, being more the kind of guy to sit on the side lines and cheer along his friends. Sometimes he thought about joining the team, considering he was as tall as any player but couldn't possibly make the cut as he was as clumsy as your child sister. Couldn't catch a ball even if it meant saving his life, his only talent being he could sing well in the shower from time to time.

Even if not on the team, Jace always made the effort to turn up to watch every game, wouldn't miss it for the world. To pull on his jersey and join the throng, an army of blue and white students, teachers and parent and child alike. Scream til his throat became raw and gauge himself til his stomach became tight against his belt, then drink the night away with his friends after til he was face down in a soft pillow

Unfortunately, this game felt different from the previous games he had attended. He couldn't shake the feeling of being completely and utterly alone as he sat in the stands by himself. Tess couldn't come, busy planning her night with the humans back at Austin's which she was so excited for. Probably a good idea that she stayed home as the crowd roared like thunder and would probably be too loud for the humans small sensitive ears. Austin and Darrick were on the field, stretching and throwing back and forth a ball during half time. The game had been ferocious, violent and exciting. Darrick and Austin's team were winning just by two points against Rutherford High and were looking good to finish the game with a winning streak. Dressed in their armour of simply shin pads and mouth guards, Jace frowned a little seeing his friends, the favourite players who were similar to celebrities in their town. His friends  encouraged the kids that sat beside Jace to hit each other with excitement and scream til his ears began to ring.  Cole was unable to make the game either, which saddened Jace as it had become almost tradition for the two to come together dressed in their matching jerseys and face paint. Cole was busy planning his performance for his drama class, his excuse being "I can't.. This is more important"

He was yet to see Katy or Ava, his eyes scanning the crowd trying to spot the familiar pair.. he slouched feeling discouraged as the game commenced once again with a blow of a whistle .

Jace sat begrudgingly with a hot dog in one hand, which coated his long fingers in the delicious grease along with an oversized drink of soda which he hugged to his side and occasionally sipped on. Looking around, he pursed his lips together trying to ignore the children that sat beside him, who didn't seem to know what the meaning of personal space was. Their parents being no help in the matter, looking to their phones instead of looking after their own children.

The crowd was becoming increasingly excited and impatient as they took their seats again amongst the stands as the second half of the game was about to commence. Faint music could be heard from on the field with the occasional happy scream suddenly piercing the air while cheerleaders jumped and skipped, dancing for the crowd with smiles stretched upon their dolled up faces.

Jace sat back and turned to his food. Looking to his hotdog, he felt his mouth water as he brought the delicious slab of meat and bread to his mouth. Enjoying his intimate moment with his hot dog, he didn't care as the game started again with the opposing team, Rutherford High starting with the ball to kickoff. Sitting happily he watched while the crowd shouted around him, practically engulfing his hot dog in a few bites then wiping the grease from his mouth with the sleeve of his jersey. His stomach growled happily in response and he washed it down with a sip of his soda. He was snapped back into reality when the shouting turned to screams and he looked up confused to the game. He gasped to see Darrick, suddenly with the ball in his hand and running! His feet kissed the land as he sped down the field, an unstoppable force like no other!