Chapter 2: Fantasma

The bitter laughter rang with the shattering glass and terrorized screams of the crowd. The security guards who were armed had even begun to run upon seeing some poor people who had been too slow.

Time to run!

You may not be the fastest runner, but as your father told you once: "Just be sure to outrun the last person." Your lungs numbed themselves from the body's pumping adrenaline, letting your feet fly away. In these situations, you were pretty good at jumping obstacles and avoiding potential objects that could slow you down; be it weapons, people, tables... Any other time, and you're an uncoordinated mess. Had you been less panicked, you would comment on your amazing track skills when forced into these undesirable situations.

You were a total blur and almost at the main exit in minutes, struggling to race the stomping bear. Did you make it there...? No--your morals stabbed your adrenaline harshly until it couldn't move as you hear another cry; one that stuck out from the swarm. A sound you dreaded. Your weakness.

"MAMA!!" The sound drowned every other. It cleared away the coursing state of excitement. "MAMA PLEASE WAKE UP!!"

Little Alroy from before kneeled on the ground and shook his deaf mother who had obviously been hit; her body limp and unresponsive. The boy's red face was puffy and poured out water and snot, his eyes blurry and pupils invisible, his legs rocking back and forth as he continued to shake the lifeless looking woman. "MAMA!!!" The arduous shouting of agonizing loss continued.

You traced a light that glowed above and realized it was a shot from the ray targeting the sobbing boy. You lurched forward without another thought. "ALROY! MOVE!!!" You screamed picking up the boy in a swoop, as well as the mother's body. Your upper body strength either greatly improved or you got shot with a double dose of adrenaline. You bounded away from the fire of the ray Black Hat shot, and swore you heard a snarl of disgust.

Your head hesitantly turned around as you sprinted and you saw you were now being pursued by masses of tentacles and guttural hisses of detestation. Oh dammit! No, no, no!!! I'm so freaking DEAD! Your legs began to shake and the confidence in saving the two of them had slowly diminished like a flame with no oxygen. You couldn't run like this anymore; even though the threat lingered right behind you was hovering in a hostile and cocky manner. If you were going down, these people didn't need to go with you.

"Alroy, get out of here! Quickly!" You placed him on his feet. "I've got your mom, and I'm right behind you...go!" You urged the child forward. With your implorement, he fled away as swiftly as he could, much to your relief. You trailed behind, respiratory system about to fail you.

As you tumbled to the ground, so did the ceiling's light fixtures above, blocking the exit. You rolled the mother aside, out of further harm, and hid her farther from yourself. With minimal energy and exasperated faith, you crawled in a desperate, vain attempt.

"There you are, mortal." A raspy voice sneered behind you having caught up. "Let's see how far you run from this..." The weapon warmed up, and the air became dense.

Not yet! You thought as you flipped on your back, steering clear of the yellow burst of heat. Gasping for breath, you went back on your knees, moving with your forearms; not making feared eye contact with the predator.

Gagging on your choked inhales you managed to breathe out an ignored command: "...vete...cabrón..." [...go away...bastard...]

You heard sadistic chuckles and the clank of metal fall to the ground."You think I care, nonetheless, understand your words, human?" He cocked back another different ray with a purple energy engulfing the chamber. With a razor edged stomp, he crushed one of your legs under his foot, snapping it loudly. Your agonizing screams fell on the ears of the sadistic animal and he grinned. "Any comprehensible, meaningless, and or bitter last words?"