Chapter 3

Who am I?

But a shadow

With branched pain

And wicked sorrow

As I Cry

My Beautiful Tears

My wings alight

With my worst fears

Still here I wonder

Who I am

Nothing less

Then Deaths Best Friend

When I woke up my eyes felt heavy as though weights were heavily put against my lids. Groaning I tried to shift my body but was stopped by unusual weight against my back sighing I reached back to move what ever was stopping me from getting comfortable. A soft downy substance touched my fingers and I frowned unsure as to what it could be. So I pulled on it.

"Owww! FUCK!" I screeched belting up only to fall back down due to the weight on my back, groaning I slowly forced my eyes open to see a white dewy feather with silver lights glistening against my finger tips. "What the fuck?" Muttering I reached back again and pressed against the substance, and I could feel it. Confused I strained my neck around to see a small arch of white with down fluffing up around it.

"Wow Sophiel your wings got some major bed head going on." Ankous voice was soft and teasing as he entered the room.Scowling I looked at him confused I vaguely remembered him coming in to give me water and a female voice but not much besides that.

"What do you mean wings? Why the hell would I have wings?"  Ankou raised his eyebrows at the question as though surprised that I had asked it.

"You don't remember our conversation from this morning?" His voice sounded strained, like he was going to throw up.

I rolled my eyes annoyed, "The last thing I remember is not being able to see and you shoving water down my throat."  Ankou groaned and rubbed his eyes, looking closer I could see that his clothes were disheveled and his face had signs that he hadn't been sleeping well. " Are you okay Ankou?" My whisper seemed to evaporate in the suddenly tense atmosphere.

"I'm fine just not looking forward to having to explain this again is all. It's complicated and hard to find the right words to use to describe what is going on and everything but hopefully will have time, you don't mind waiting until Cherry brings in dinner to discuss why you would have wings do you? I haven't eaten in forever!" I raised my eyebrows at him in surprise at the enthusiastic tone when he mentioned food.

"Death can eat?" Ankou laughed at my question causing me to blush brightly. "What it is a valid question!" Ankou just laughed harder I could feel annoyance rising in my throat."Don't laugh at me!" My voice came out in an echoing boom traveling around the room causing him to wince and cover his ears.

"Jeez! I'm sorry no need to yell!" He scowled at me. "Yes I can eat and es I enjoy eating, who doesn't enjoy eating for crying out loud?" As if on cue a tall leggy woman entered the room, she had bright cheeks and a rounded body with flaming hair curling down her back, in her hands she carried a tray with a variety of different meats, fruits and vegetables on it all cut as though they were expected to be presented to an artist or royalty. " Ahh thank you Cherry! Food at last?" I couldn't help but giggle not only at his enthusiasm but that Cherry looked so much like the food she was named for, turning she smiled at me

.

"Yeah it's funny isn't it? I look just like a cherry! I like it though! It's good to see you wide awake now! Lets see we got viel, mutton, beef fish, celery, potatoes, bananas this weird orange fruit thingy and this green thing." She grinned at me flashing white teeth that looked as though they had just been bleached to perfection. I still blushed though embarrassed that she had guessed my thoughts and was still so friendly to me. Smiling at me again she set the tray down in front of us before flouncing out of the room her rounded hips swinging merrily, I watched her go fascinated by the disproportional body she displayed.

"Well come on and try the food!" Ankous anxious voice startled me from my thoughts, " Come on ! You must be starving by now!" I nodded and started to eat the unrecognizable food it was all good though.

Swallowing the last bite of the odd orange blue fruit I looked up at Ankou. "So why do I have wings?" I spent the entirety of my meal having o be propped by pillows as every time I tried to sit up the weight made me fall back. I felt surprisingly calm about them, but I don't believe it has really set in yet. Shifting Ankou looked down at his hands before looking back up at me.

"Well you see I was supposed to take you to the underworld, you were on the list and everything, but you were so interesting and full of thoughts and ideas I couldn't let you die. So I did what every reaper does once in the career I went to the council. The council is the head of all things life and after life for all the religions. I explained to them why I wanted you to  live and they all debated before finally looking into your soul to see what type of person you are." He shuffled nervously. "They found a healers and mothers soul, so they made you an angel specializing in healing, childbirth, and war. You can tell by the color of your wings different colors mean different specialties." He stopped and looked at me shifting in his seat.

"Are you joking?" I looked him straight in the eyes not sure what answer I was hoping that he'd give me.

"No I am not joking." He shifted some more looking at his hands instead of me.

"Does this mean I can fly?" I felt scared so I decided to concentrate on the positives of having wings and apparently being the only Gothic angel ever. He laughed his voice bouncing of the walls.

"Yes you can fly." Nodding I looked thoughtfully at him.

"How am I supposed to fly if I can't even sit up?"  He laughed throwing back his head he seemed relieved that I was in a good mood

.

"I guess we will have to practice that first.." I smiled and nodded at him, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my new life but hey at least I didn't have to deal with my dad anymore.