Chapter 8: Realizations

The first memory is a flashback from from Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead and all rights go to her.

Rose POV

I sit up suddenly in the bed covered in a small layer of sweat, breathing heavily. The same dream that I have had countless nights before, causing me to wake up the same way night after night. I try to calm my breathing but nothing helps, my eyes try to focus on my unfamiliar surroundings. Where am I? Why aren't I in my apartment? Who's room is this? I look to the right of me and see someone lying next to me, not just anyone but a man. Who is that? I think I feel a panic attack coming so I push my legs up to my chest and lay my head in between them, trying to calm myself down. The person laying next to me stirs and makes a sound but I can't hear anything over the pounding in my ears. I haven't felt this way in a long time and this one seems to be the worst. I feel someones hand touch my back and I about fell off the bed from the sudden contact but someone catches me before I do. I am then pulled to his chest and his hand is running up and down my back and I hear him begin to hum, but it sounds miles away.

Soon my breathing starts to calm down and I hear Dimitri still humming while running his hand up and down my back, rocking us back and forth. I remember where I am, I am at Dimitri's house trying to figure out what happened to me. Last thing I remember is falling asleep in the same bed as him and then waking up from the same horrible nightmare I have had plenty of times before. Once Dimitri notices that I have calmed down, he lifts my chin up with his finger and starts to wipe away tears with his thumb. I didn't know I was crying, I lift my hand and feel the wetness of my cheeks. I push away from him and try to wipe away the stray tears that still fall, I see from the corner of my eye that Dimitri is still staring at me. I look over at him and see the concern burning in his eyes. 

"Rose, what happened?" He reaches over to grab me again but this time I move back a little more trying to put some space between us. The nightmare still present in my mind. "Rose?" He is now looking at me confused, probably wondering what is going on with me.

"I..." How do I explain that I just dreamt about him, when I was sure that it wasn't a dream but a memory.

"You can tell me Roza." Maybe it was his nickname or when I glance at him, I see how helpless he looks.

"I had a nightmare...and you were in it."

"A nightmare? About me?"

"Not really about you. You were in it though."

"Would you like to tell me about it?" He pats the spot next to him on the other side of the bed, and this time I move slowly over to him and suddenly feel better with him being close. He puts his arm around me and pulls me to him again and this time I welcome his warmth and pull the blanket over both of us.

"It seems more like a memory, but I have been having it for awhile now, even before I meet you. So I don't know how that is possible since I don't remember anything before I was taken and I have only been getting bits and pieces back since I meet you." He nods his head and rests his chin on top of my head, beckoning me to go on.

"We are both out in the woods and you are leaning against a tree with your back towards me throwing something silver back and forth between your hands. I walk towards you and step on a stick accidentally snapping it and you turn around at a super fast speed that I didn't even know was possible to do. But when I look at you I freeze because I don't know what to do, I recognize you and feel a sudden rush of feelings but don't know how to react. You say something but I don't hear it and then your face suddenly turns into fear and the next thing I know something grabs me from behind and I wake up, covered in sweat and breathing heavily." His body stiffens when I tell him the last part of my dream. I look up at him and see his jaw clenched and him staring at the wall, looking like he wants to kill something.