Repercussions Arc 1: 03-08 The Common Sense of the Academy

Now that Padyuel-san is done, lets talk about Foster. Frank spoke as if nothing at all was out of the ordinary, but that in and of itself was the same as pouring salt to a certain flustered girls bleeding heart.

To think that of all people, I would

It mightve been because of her high regard for herself, but she did not appear down.

Whether that was a good thing or not was difficult to answer, but Shinichi, nonetheless, found it amusing.

He really should repent a bit more though.

So, what is that Foster thing? Shinichi asked.

This was more important right now, so Shinichi decided to let her off.

It might be a bit unexpected, but even he can be considerate once in a while.

But then, with how bad he is at reading the atmosphere, in the end, it just cancels itself out, netting him a zero.

Youre starting there? Im pretty sure theres a terminal thats been circulating with the same name, but anyway Foster is short for Foton Use Terminal. That thing I used to show you those images a while ago, as well as the one Padyuel-san has with her – those are both fosters.

They showed Shinichi those tablet-like terminals again. One was A4-sized, while the other was just small enough to hold with one hand.

Its a product resulting from the fusion of Garestos portable military equipment and Earths tablet technology. It was originally created for the students of the academy.

The abbreviation fosuta is foster in English, and since the meaning fits perfectly, it was decided that it would be called that from then on.

Sorry, but what does it mean in English?

Frank carefully explained what the tool was and the origins of its name, but Shinichi got confused when a foreign language was brought to the equation.

The translator machine wont work if a foreign language is intentionally used.

And the translator he had with him wasnt that high-specd to begin with.

Oh? Isnt foster a common English word?

Unfortunately, I never got to finish middle school because of my situation, so

This had been bothering Shinichi for a long time now.

Just when hed finally become a second-year middle school student, he was suddenly swept into another world.

Hed already had difficulties with English, so when the burden of having to learn so many new things all of the sudden was added, its not strange to see how he was able to forget most of what hed learned.

At most, now, all he can do is to read and write the English alphabet.

I see. Then Ill translate it for you. Basically, its a terminal that uses photon. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Foster means to raise or to rear. So, when you think about it in a mental sense, its exactly on the same line as kokoro ni idaku (to harbor a feeling).

And by mental, I suppose youre referring to the one from the status?

That odd one out of the bunch thats hard to understand.

He was surprised to find that humans now had those status things when he came back here.

And from among the different statuses listed, the one he couldnt understand at all was the Mental or Mind stat.