Chapter 4

"Nick watch out!" 

You docked behind a building, just barely dodging the bullet that came hurtling in your direction. You and Nick were in pursuit of a suspect, unfortunately he picked the hard way. Nick was a bit closer to him, his gun drawn. You had the guy cornered in the basement of the building. He didn't have anywhere to go, you guessed that's why he was trying to shoot his way out.

Sooner or later he was going to run out of bullets. Nick was marking him. He shifted from the area he was sheltering behind. You frowned, realizing Nick was trying to move in. The guy still had a few bullets. If Nick made the wrong move it was over. You still had your back pressed to a pillar a safe distance away. Nick stormed out and you panicked, there wasn't anywhere else for him to use as a cover. The guy must have noticed because he jumped out shooting wildly.

"NICK!!"

A wave of energy swept over the entire area. The shock wave sent the perpetrator as well as his bullets hurtling away. He crashed into the wall, falling unconscious. Nick was also forced backwards. He hit the ground roughly and you cursed running to him.

"Shit! Are you okay?" He grunted, sitting up slowly.

"W-What was that, did a bomb go off nearby?" He was disoriented, looking around for the guy you'd been chasing.

"I-I have no idea, but I'm glad it happened when it did." You lied. It was getting harder everyday to keep the truth from him. Especially since he was the type to always take action.

You were so scared of him getting hurt, so without thinking you'd use your powers. You helped him to his feet and he moved to the now unconscious male, grabbing his gun and calling for backup. You closed your eyes when you felt the familiar throbbing against your head. Nick moved closer to you when he hung up the phone.

"Hey are you alright?"

"Yeah I just need to.." 

Your words trailed off as your body slumped. 

"(Y/N)!!" 

Nick held you, lifting you into his arms when he realized you were no longer conscious.

~~~

"How is she?" 

The doctor came out, greeted by the three detectives. Nick, Rollins and Fin were in the waiting room. 

"She's fine, it seems it was just a dizzy spell. No fractures or injuries to her brain." Nick sighed. Rollins smiled.

"Come on I told you she was tough."

"Kid's gonna be fine." Fin added, tapping Nick on the shoulder.

"There is something that is very unusual." 

The doctor's words made Nick's head raise. He stared at the woman in question. "What do you mean?"

She pulled out what looked like an MRI.

"It could have been a glitch in the system but..." She seemed unsure of how to phrase the words.

"This scan is an image on Ms. (L/N)'s brain activity. On a normal scale, we use about ten percent of our full capacity. From what I'm reading on her scans, she's utilizing at least eighty percent."

All three detectives looked stunned. 

"Are you sure?" 

Rollins questioned.

The doctor shook her head. 

"It has to be a malfunction, I'll have the machine checked. Aside from that, everything else is perfectly fine. She's awake so you can visit her now if you wish."