Ch.2 - Babylon

Princess Ishtar of Babylon has just turned 16 and had been on her first battlefield. She spent her teen years watching her 3 older brothers - Eksander, Dastian and Yusuf - coming back to the palace, deeply traumatised and wounded. And almost every night, Ishtar went to the Royal Temples and prayed and prayed tbe nightmare would end.

Lucky for her, and for everyone, she managed to survive her first battlefield with wounds on her left arm. Her raven hair was tousled and dampened with sweat, and her tan skin was bruised with injuries and dust. But even still, none can destroy the sheer brilliance of her violet blue eyes, the ones she inherited from her Spartan mother, Queen Penelope.

As she, her brothers and Eksander's beloved fiance, Princess Ramonda of Anatolia, entered the Babylon Palace, King Zorastor and Queen Penelope, Ishtar's parents came out to greet them with open arms. Yet as soon as the King and Queen saw the injuries of their 4 children and soon to be daughter in law, their faces are laced with concern.

' Oh my, ' Queen Penelope crooned, her voice laced with concern ' Dear daughter, how was your first battlefield?'

'Horrible, mother, ' Ishtar sighed honestly and truthfully. Turning to her father, Ishtar glomped her father into a big hug.

' Father, I'm so happy to see you again, ' Ishtar breathed heavily as soon as she let go of her father's embrace to allow her brothers to hug and greet their parents.

' We are just so relieved that all 5 of you survived, ' King Zorastor chuckled. ' Now, off you all go! We have a big engagement party for Eksander and Ramonda tonight. '

As Ishtar proceeded to her chambers, she felt her stomach churning. Something seems to be not right.

' Is there anything wrong, dear friend?' Ramonda asked gently

' Yeah, tell us!' Dastian raced up to join Eksander and Ramonda, and Yusuf joined suit.

' We dont want to see our sister being so blue!' Yusuf guffawed, and Eksander followed suit.

' No, I'm just feel something will happen....' Ishtar sighed.

' What else could go wrong?' Eksander exclaimed ' My beloved Ramonda and I will get married soon! There is much to celebrate!'

' Perhaps, ' Ishtar responded thoughtfully. Turning to her 3 brothers and Ramonda, she sighed ' Well, I shall retreat to my chambers to rest. I wish you all have a good rest. I will see all of you during the engagement party. '

After saying their goodbyes, Ishtar rushed to her chambers to change her purple armor to a simple sleeping dress. She fell onto the silken sheets of her bad before she went to a Rose petaled bath drawn by her handmaids.

Hours later, when Ishtar was being dressed up by her handmaids for the engagement ball, Queen Penelope, Ramonda and the High Priestess and Ishtar and her brothers' nursemaid, Shoshannah, entered her dressing room, causing all of her handmaids to bow.

' My dear daughter!' Penelope exclaimed as soon as she saw Ishtar ' How magnificent you look!'

' Oh, you look absolutely radiant!' Ramonda squealed.

' Indeed, Indeed!' Shoshannah smiled and clapped enthusiastically.

The 3 women who are impressed by Ishtar's appearance are no less impressive looking. Queen Penelope's tall, gaunt but majestic poise was heightened by her dark purple Backless gown with gold ornaments from head to toe, with a fancy crown on top of her head. Shoshannah's stocky, sun kissed figure was accentuated by her gold dress with chiffin floated about her. And Ramonda wore a stunning lilac and gold engagement gown that complemented her dark skin, long dark hair and golden eyes.

Ishtar looked magnificent in her rose pink gown that had a flowing train made of the finest silk. To further accentuate her look, she even had a satin pink shawl and a unique rose crown with a rose on each side of her head, making her flowing long dark locks all the more magnificent. Much like the other 3 women, she also wore gold jewelry from head to toe, even her tourmaline earrings have gold in them.

' Girls, would you care to leave us alone? We have a very private matter to discuss. Thank you. ' Penelope gently waved at the handmaids, who all bowed respectfully and left. Two of them, who are the twin daughters of Shoshannah, also left, but not before uttering words of encouragement and comfort to a now rather nervous Ishtar.

When all the handmaids are gone, Ramonda sighed ' No, dear, you are NOT in trouble or anything...'

' Well what is it so private that you have to send all of the handmaids away?' Ishtar asked with genuine concern.

' A matter that it is time for you to be concerned, ' Penelope said proudly ' Firstly, let me ask you - what do you think of marriage?'

' Mother!' Ishtar gasped, her violet blue eyes widened with sheer shock ' Sorry, but I honestly never thought about it - '

' Dearie, with a pretty face and a charming character like you, I'm sure that you will be just as lucky as the man who shall fall in love with you and marry you!' Shoshannah laughed and pinched Ishtar's cheeks. ' My twin daughters, Lateefa and Rashida, are a year shy away from your age, and they have already dreamt of gentlemen courting them!'

' I do think there is more to life than simply dreaming of some handsome prince or king falling in love them, ' Ishtar smiled kindly, ' But thank you for your concern. '

It was Ramonda's turn to laugh, ' Yes, yes. But rest assured, no one is going to force you to marry some one you absolutely loathe. We will assure you of a happy marriage. Dont worry. '

As Ishtar hugged her mother, the High Priestess and sister in law, who has become a dear friend to her since Eksander started courting her. A servant boy called to tell them that the engagement feast is commencing, and Penelope led the other 3 ladies down to the banquet hall.