9 | Snapping

Sera had run away from the palace, not because she hated her family, but because the palace was suffocating. Countless days were spent hiding and worrying that someone might wander too far in the palace grounds, or get lost, and discover her.

Her identity as the Hidden Princess wasn't just a title, it was her entire existence. So when things had become too much, Judar offering his hand at that moment, was like a beacon in the dark. One that was leading her towards a life that was wholly different from the one she had had at that time.

Now, seeing her family, which should be something joyous, felt more like a knife was suspended above her head that could chop down at any moment.

Kouha and the others stood at the door of the room and Sera kept a watchful eye on them as she moved behind Judar. Clinging to his arm she said, "h-how did you guys find us?"

A deep frown appeared on the face of the male magi and it was hard to conceal the anger seeping out of his pores. It was unknown to him when he had come to care so much for the princess, but just hearing the tremble in her voice was enough to make him want to tear apart the people that hurt her: even if they were her own family.

Before Judar could even say anything, Kouha had already exploded: "we're here to take you home! Brother Kouen has been extremely worried about you, and tasked us to bring you back."

"I won't go back!" Sera worked up some courage to say. "I'm staying here, and won't return to the palace."

"You!" Kouha went to go forward and grab his sister but was pulled back by Koumei.

The fiery pink-haired boy turned to face his brother: "why stop me? Brother wants her to return and we have to make her go. Do you know how much trouble we'll be in if we fail to bring her back?!"

"I know." Koumei released the smaller male and calmly told him, "we have to bring her back, but you can't use force on her. Don't forget she is our sister."

Kouha grimaced and forced himself to stop opening his mouth. Then, crossing his arms, he made for the set of chairs at the centre of the room and flopped down on the sofa, ignoring his siblings and everything else.

"Sera..."

Koumei now faced his sister and started to speak but was interrupted by Judar saying, "why does she have to go back? Sera is happy being here with me, and as you can see no harm has come to her while out here."

"Even if that is true, Sera belongs in the castle." Kougyoku was the one to step forward this time, and using as gentle a tone she could muster, she continued, "as a princess, it is safer for her to be in the castle and away from the people out here, her power..."

"What about her power?" Judar snapped. "Like I said before, do you guys even understand her power? Sure, the power causes people to die, but there are so many other things she can do besides that. Going back to the castle and being hidden away from everyone is not the best thing for her."

"I won't let you take her back there."  Judar hugged her to him, and he glared at her siblings. "Sera isn't the 'hidden princess' anymore."